Dh suddenly has input on a name... what should i do?

wamommy

4 little monkeys!
Reaction score
I have had my heart set on the name "Luca" if our baby is a boy. DH has been VERY uninterested in discussing names up until this point. Suddenly he suggested Sebastian, with the nick name "Bash" and he is pretty insistent about it. Should I stick to my guns and name the baby Luca, or do you like Sebastian (Bash)?

Could you make it a middle name? You could have more than one.

I do like Sebastian - I think you need to find a compromise, he is the Dad after all, I agree with pp - you could make it a middle name. Or vice versa with Luca. I think most blokes don't pay any attention to babies or their names (simply put up with us going on about it) until the baby is almost here! xx

P.S. Generalisation I know ladies - just based my experience with husband and 4 brothers... who are all fabulous Dads btw... just not good at thinking ahead ;)

I think you're both the parents and neither of you gets precedence over what to call the baby. You both need to find a compromise, either one as a middle name or find a new new you both like all together

since you asked I prefer Sebastian by miles as Luca/Luka is a very, very chavvy name around here

Bash is also quite chavvy (I knew a chav called bash but he was friendlier than the average chav so not so bad lol) I prefer Seb or Baz as a nickname but dont hate Bash

I agree that you shouldn't just over ride the father it is his baby too and you wouldn't like it if someone did that to you

Sebastian Luca (surname) flows very well

I prefer Sebastian we would use it but I named it my cat lol
I don't like bash as a nick name though I would use Seb
I think Luca is ok but it reminds me of an annoying boy in my year at school
Luca Sebastian sounds nice though and you can still nick name him bash?

I think you both need to sit and discuss together x

I do like Sebastian - I think you need to find a compromise, he is the Dad after all, I agree with pp - you could make it a middle name. Or vice versa with Luca. I think most blokes don't pay any attention to babies or their names (simply put up with us going on about it) until the baby is almost here! xx

P.S. Generalisation I know ladies - just based my experience with husband and 4 brothers... who are all fabulous Dads btw... just not good at thinking ahead ;)

This. It doesn't seem right to name LO without it being a joint decission. It is definitely frustrating when your OH is reluctant to give it much thought until LO's birth is imminent (DH didn't want to really talk about it until DD was born :dohh:) but for some people it's something they think should be thought about when LO is almost here or born.

OH and I didn't like eachother's first choices (sob) so we scrapped both and found a different name together. It's important that you're both happy with it.

I should have given more background info! I have 3 other kids, ALL of which DH named. :( With DD#2 she was nameless for a week while he refused to budge from 2 names, of which I chose the one I disliked least. Finally with this baby, since it was a complete surprise, he told me early on that I could name it and he would be ok with whatever I choose. I suppose that's why I'm so confused now.

Also, DH is Japanese and wants to pass his Japanese family name on to the baby if it's a boy (just as we did with DS#1) so if it's a boy the middle name is already spoken for by HIM.

Maybe I'm over thinking everything, since I do like the name Sebastian, but I feel like the one time I am allowed to choose a name is being taken away from me RIGHT before he/she is here. :( I'm trying hard to decide whether I should fight it or just give in like I always do.

Sigh... hormonal here... I'm sure I'm making way too much of it!

What are your other children's names? Perhaps one of them goes better with the other names?

Luca Sebastian sounds nice to me but neither are really my style. I much prefer Lucas nn Luke personally but it seems like you've got yourself in an odd position about him naming all of your kids including this one :( Does he know your feelings about this?

Luca was my favourite and OH wouldn't budge, until our son was born when he said yes, but my son didnt look like a Luca! We got ourself down to a favourite each and one we both liked, but didnt love. This one ended up being the one that fitted him best.

We really liked the name Sebastian but had friends with children that name. I think Bash ruins a nice name though. Our friend's children are both called Sebbie or Seb.

Why don't you have both names in your top two and see what best fits when he arrives?

Don't budge, I did with mine and ended up changing her name back to my original choice at 4 months, if you have your heart set on Luca the likelihood is you won't forget it and will dwell on it, fight for it if I was you, he has had lots of choices! Saying that Sebastian is an amazing name me and my sister both wanted it but our DHs both didn't! Follow your heart x

Ah with the extra information I change my response, I think you should push for the name you love! I think that naming a child should be up to both parents, but since he named your other children it is only fair that you get to name one- as he himself decided until recently.

If you just choose it just after he's been born in that lovely tender momment after you've given birth he won't argue! Pick the name you love while you still can! I sure wish I'd have stuck to my guns, would have saved a lot of emotion heartache guilt and embarrassment x

Given the extra info, Luca should be the baby's name with the Japanese middle name that your dh chose. Only fair. :)

I agree if he's picked the middle name (and for your other children) you should get this pick xx

You can have 2 middle names.

But otherwise I'd put your foot down. He gets middle name

If you just choose it just after he's been born in that lovely tender momment after you've given birth he won't argue! Pick the name you love while you still can! I sure wish I'd have stuck to my guns, would have saved a lot of emotion heartache guilt and embarrassment x

Agree entirely with this! That is the perfect time to say 'ohhhh doesn't he look JUST like a Luca?!'

NB if you go with Sebastian (which I also like) please don't use Bash as a nickname it's odd! Seb is such a nice nickname x

They are both lovely but you have probably bonded with 'Luca' given that he said you could chose, it is unfair to make you change now.

If you do use Sebastian then Seb is a much nicer nn than Bash.

Thank you all so much! I am due any day (any MINUTE :haha:) and I am becoming more and more sure this baby is a Luca. You've given me the strength to fight for it! Watch, now it will be a girl, lol.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->