Diagnosed with GD and have to wait two weeks

pickymicky

Reaction score
I was diagnosed with gestational diabetes for the second time (had it with my first) but I'm not booked to go into the clinic for two weeks.
That means I cannot check my blood sugars for that whole time because I do not get the equipment until I go in.

I am worried that this could cause problems. Just wondering if anyone has suggestions.

I would ask your gp if they can prescribe you a sugar tester while you wait for your appt. You know how to test from last time and can start keeping track of your fasting and 2hrs after meals numbers ready for your appt at the diabetes clinic.

Move to a low GI diet to support good sugar levels and make sure you're incorporating suitable exercise like a 20 min walk into your daily life.

Hope your appt goes well!

I second all of Wanna's advice. The other two things I would add would be to try to eat really low carb at breakfast in particular, because most people tend to be higher after breakfast than they are later in the day. The other thing to add might be to break your 30 min of exercise up during the day so you're specifically doing some after every meal. A ten minute walk immediately after every meal can make a huge difference in post meal numbers.

I also really like the idea of calling to ask if you can get your prescription early, since you're already familiar with how to use everything. It's always worth checking. Hopefully, they say yes. fx Not knowing can be so stressful, in my experience, I really hope they don't make you wait that whole time.

I ended up getting some strips and a tester so now I need to practice doing it all on schedule again and writing things down. The weather is nice enough to make walking pleasant. Plus, I'm sure even household chores and chasing around kids helps haha.

The numbers haven't been too bad so that's nice. I think it gets a little worse as the pregnancy goes further though.

Ah it could be worse but it's an annoyance. I wish everyone out there with GD luck and happy, healthy pregnancies.

I absolutely agree chores and childcare count! Probably more of a workout sometimes than a walk would be lol Glad to hear you got hold of a test kit. I agree the record keeping aspect of GD is a pain. I have to set a timer for myself to remember to test. And, I have an app for my phone that makes the recording the numbers pretty easy. There are a bunch of them to choose from, but I like glucose buddy because it's just really simple and I can email the records to my doctor.

Glad to hear your numbers are looking good! That must be so reassuring :) Sounds like you're doing things right :flow:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->