Diagnosed with Streptococcus B and worried

Aadams1x

Reaction score
Hi,

I am 19 Weeks and after Thrush like symptoms for some time the doctor has done a swab test and it has come back that I have Strep B and Thrush. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of this from another pregnancy. I have been told there is no treatment now but given antibiotics during birth.

Has anyone here gone through this, was an infection passed on etc. Im so worried. Thanks for your advice

My ex's girlfriend wasn't diagnosed and their daughter had it, she was rough for almost a week but now she's fine. Good news that they have already found out you have got it so can treat you when you are in labour x

I'm afraid I have no advice, but it's good they've picked it up so can treat you properly. I saw you were new here too so just wanted to say hello!

Seriously, do not even worry about it. It's very common, it's not an STD or anything like that. Apparently u can pick it up from food amongst other things. It lives in the vagina, with no effect to the mother. All that happens is when u go into labour, they put a canula in your hand and give u a shot of antibiotics so u don't pass it on to bub on his/her way out. Truly, it's no biggie, my son was perfect. The only thing my doc stressed to me was that if my water broke on it's own, I had to come straight to hospital for the meds- no staying home to labour. They had to break my water so it didn't matter for me.

I had it with both my sons, I was given the antibiotics in labor
both my boys were fine, no affect on them at all

Thanks for the replies, I have now spoken to the midwife who has confirmed what you guys have said but to hear it from you is really reassuring...Thanks.

19 Wks + 1

June 24th B day!!

I agree with the others... I am a Practice Nurse and we pick it up in women (preg and non preg) all the time, but it is completely harmless unless you don't know about it prior to giving birth, when they will treat you with an IV antibiotic to clear the infection during labour. The reason they don't treat it beforehand is because it might just come back again xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->