diagnosing ODD?

Reaction score
does anyone have an LO that was dx'd with ODD (Oppositional Defiant Disorder). what others were they dx'd with? how old were they at the the time? and how were they around the age of 2.5 yrs?

Hi! My step son has this diagnosis as well as ADHD, and attachment disorder. He has always been defiant, and manipulative. He also does not follow rules. Breaks them constantly and has a hard time when he is unsupervised. Has your son been diagnosed? What are his symptoms? I have been studying this stuff for a while.

right now my son is diagnosed with sensory process disorder, pdd-nos. and possibly asperger's (or classical autism, they arent sure yet).

he cries and throws a tantrum if we tell him no. he doesn't listen to rules. like if he's messing with the dvd player i will tell him to quit. he'll look at me and keep doing it. i'll say no a million times and he just KEEPS doing it. so if i start to physically redirect he'll start stomping around. the second i turn my back he's right back at it. so it'll take a very long time to get him to stop. then if he stops doing one thing, he'll start doing something else he knows he shouldn't do, like hitting his sister :dohh: it just feels like he constantly looks for trouble. and its always things he knows he's not supposed to do. as if he doesn't have a care in the world for rules. :shrug:

Wow, this sounds like my son. He is 7 years old, and constantly being written up at school for not following rules. He throws tantrums when he doesn't get his way. And if his friends can't come over and play with him, he takes it personally and says they don't like him anymore and throws a fit. He throws things, kicks walls, punches walls. Its soooooo frustrating.

My son was recently diagnosed with ADD, and has to start ritalin, which I am so nervous about giving him medication of any sort. I have never heard of ODD before... thinking I will look into it now.

Do you find yourself having to repeat things over and over to him? My son, If I'm trying to get his attention, I have to say his name repeatedly 4 or 5 times before I get his attention, and sometimes I have to repeat instructions of what I want him to do a few times too.

I wish you the best hun, I know how frustrating it can be!

Wow, this sounds like my son. He is 7 years old, and constantly being written up at school for not following rules. He throws tantrums when he doesn't get his way. And if his friends can't come over and play with him, he takes it personally and says they don't like him anymore and throws a fit. He throws things, kicks walls, punches walls. Its soooooo frustrating.

My son was recently diagnosed with ADD, and has to start ritalin, which I am so nervous about giving him medication of any sort. I have never heard of ODD before... thinking I will look into it now.

Do you find yourself having to repeat things over and over to him? My son, If I'm trying to get his attention, I have to say his name repeatedly 4 or 5 times before I get his attention, and sometimes I have to repeat instructions of what I want him to do a few times too.

I wish you the best hun, I know how frustrating it can be!

i am constantly repeating. i hate it. lol. i sit there "quit milo...quit...stop it milo....milo leave it alone..." then it goes to physical redirection, which of course never works :dohh:

Oh I know the feeling hun! Sometimes its very difficult.

For me its even more difficult when my OH is home. He just yells at him constantly which makes everything worse. OH believes that nothing is wrong with our son he just needs more discipline. DRIVES ME BATTY! I know something more is wrong! I'm going to have to ask our doctor about ODD. Do you know if they use the same medications to treat it as they would ADD or ADHD?

I don't have any advice but I wanted to say good luck & I hope you can find some answers here :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->