Diaper Genie, is it necesary?

Jcliff

Reaction score
So one thing we did not recieve at our shower, but was on our registry was a Diaper Genie (it was actually a diaper champ, this you can use garbage bags and dont have to buy refills.) Anyway, I was wondering if they are actually necessary?

W ae registered for the same one but didn't get it at our shower - it was the first thing i bought after lol have you ever smelled a poopy diaper in the trash can? They STINK! I think we'll be getting lots of use out of ours

every mom at my work told me i HAD to get a diaper pail, especially if we have a small apartment (we do). i'd rather not have to take the trash out every single time baby has a dirty diaper (that's what my mom did with all her kids, and she's the one who bought me the diaper pail! :) )

I wold say depends on the person some people don't mind walking to throw them away/ taking them outside, but I had one with all my kids, can't take the smell:haha:

We just use a trash can with a lid right now. It used to be the kitchen trash, but it was only 8Gal, and we really wanted a 13Gal for the kitchen, so we got the 8Gal for the diapers. It works fine. Regular trash bags and everything.

I EBF, if that makes a difference!!

Just my opinion but I wouldn't go without. I actually have one downstairs for changes down here and one upstairs in the nursery. In the beginning it's not too bad, but when they start on solid foods, the diapers stink so bad! Everyone is diff though.... I just don't want to take it outside to the trash every diaper change.

Jess, you ARE going to post some pics from the shower for me right?? :) bet you got some good girly stuff

I LOVE my diaper genie. And actually use garbage bags for it sometimes too. I use the handle bags and put it around the lid.

I would get something for lo because you go through tons of diapers and it will fill your garbage can fast!

I never used one and never needed one. I would just use freezer bags and tie them and put them in the bin.we didnt have a big bin inside so before it had a chance to get stinky, it would be taken outside. It was never a hassle. I say each to thier own.

I never had one with the older 4, then again they didn't have them back then. I used to always run them out to the garbage can out front. NOW I got one for #5, and I have to say I don't like the fact its adding more plastic to the landfill, but wow what a saviour it has become.. My trash out front doesn't smell near as bad and I don't have to keep running back and forth. I don't put the pee diapers in it tho as we empty the pail under the sink daily with normal garbage. I put only the poop in it, so it lasts us longer and I have to say I like it a lot. SO like other poster said, it depends on the person, I myself like it.

nope! just throw the dirty diaper outside:)

We live in a pretty small 1000 sqfeet condo, so I think we will be getting the diaper champ! I got some gift cards so I can use it towards that! Thanks for the advice everyone.

JULES, Shower was fantastic! I got more clothes then I know what to do with, but they are adorable, little dress, rompers, etc. I will try and post pictures when I get copies from my mom! :)

Tried one with first baby, hated it. Covered pail worked just fine. If you breastfeed exclusively, poop really doesn't have a strong smell. Even now with my one yearbooks, if I get a Nasty one I just tie it in an old shopping bag.

I got an Ubbi and love it. It uses regular garbage bags.

We live in a pretty small 1000 sqfeet condo, so I think we will be getting the diaper champ! I got some gift cards so I can use it towards that! Thanks for the advice everyone.

JULES, Shower was fantastic! I got more clothes then I know what to do with, but they are adorable, little dress, rompers, etc. I will try and post pictures when I get copies from my mom! :)

Look, I think the diaper champ is like 30 bucks. You have a small place and i know youre not on a super tight budget, so I don't think you will regret spending 30 bucks.
Girls clothes are so super cute! And headbands, I'm not girly really but was surprised that I became obsessed with cute headbands for my daughter. I have some gorgeous baby and newborn pics of her just in her diaper and adorable headbands. I have them all saved in case this one is a girl too. Would love to see pics :) we are getting there girl!!!

I love mine. I'm all for any extra convenience something adds to my day - especially when baby/toddler is fussing and you have a diaper full of poo and don't have to worry about taking another step once the change is done.

I will be buying a second for ds2's nursery.

Not necessary but awfully convenient! Ours broke and Playtex sent us a new one which was awesome! The few weeks we didn't have it was rather annoying.

Got one and never used it. I'd rather chuck it outside in the bin.

I think it depends on your circumstances and where you keep your regular garbage around your house. I would not recommend throwing diapers in the regular trash if you keep that in your kitchen, etc. It is just like throwing raw meat/chicken in the trash, in a day or 2, it is going to stink to high heaven.

We have 2 diaper champs, one upstairs in the nursery and one downstairs where I do a lot of changing during the day, and I love/use them.

One thing I also do to help minimize the poopy smell is that I flush the doodoo down the toilet (not the diaper, I just empty the poop out of it) and that works like a charm. Of course, this is something you can do only once your little one starts to poop solid poops. (Early on, they are runny poos, but for some reason that smell never bothered me as much as her solid ones do these days! lol)

so much poopy talk!! haha I think I will purchase one today! Thanks for all of your help!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->