diaper pail necessary???? confused about cleaning diapers.

babyjiva

1st baby
Reaction score
last night we bought a genie diaper pail... my husband things since we are using reusable diapers that we don't need a diaper pail. the truth is i'm confused about how to "store" dirty diapers that need a wash.

1. how often do you do a load of diapers
2. do you rinse them immediately after taking them off baby?
3. where do you keep them until you wash them?

thanks so much!

I wash either daily or every other day, but I don't have many nappies. With more nappies you could wash less often.

At the moment she has BF poo so there is no need to do anything with it. We are just starting weaning so soon I will need to flush/shake/scrape the poo into the toilet. Fleece liners are fantastic for getting poo off easily.

I put my nappies into a lidded nappy bucket with a mesh bag. The mesh bag is great as then I can just lift it straight out into the washing machine without having to touch the dirty nappies.

Where does your husband plan on storing the dirty nappies before you wash them?! I'd say you need a nappy bucket MORE with cloth nappies, not less cos you can just bag up disposables and put them in the normal bin but you can't do that with cloth.

Some people put the dirty nappies straight into the washing machine and then put the machine on at the end of each day, but that would mean moving them to do a normal load of washing. Otherwise you need something like a bucket or a wet bag (waterproof bag) to store them in. Lots of people use a bin with a lid or those big storage boxes, you don't need a specific nappy bucket. You don't need one of those bucket things that bags up the nappies for you, that would just be a waste of bags.

you guys are life savers. thanks

he was thinking of doing the whole just throw them in the wash thing and i told him the same thing "but honey, then if we want to wash clothes we have to move everything out of there." as you can see i won, haha... we did buy the pail but he made me doubt myself.

my plan was to store them in there, about every 2 days do a washing! so for now no rinsing? but i will definitely need to rinse as poo becomes more solid?

sounds right. thank you!

yeah i rinse most of my diapers in cold water or at least the inserts or prefolds before putting them in the pail as i find it helps it all come out eaiser lol and just put the lid on till wash day lol, i do need a bigger bucket though

last night we bought a genie diaper pail... my husband things since we are using reusable diapers that we don't need a diaper pail. the truth is i'm confused about how to "store" dirty diapers that need a wash.

1. how often do you do a load of diapers
2. do you rinse them immediately after taking them off baby?
3. where do you keep them until you wash them?

thanks so much!

1. I do a nappy load when my pail is full, so usually every 3rd day.
2. The only time I rinse the nappies is when Evie has done a poonami. I usually rinse it in the shower with cold water so it doesnt set the stain in. It helps reduce the staining :thumbup:
3. I keep the nappies in my dry pail, which is in the kitchen, beside the washing machine :)

You dont have to use a pail. You can use a large wetbag and hang it off a hook, if you'd prefer. I prefer the pail, and I help combat nasty niffs with a panty liner stuck to the lid, then sprinkle a few drops of essential oils onto the pad (I use Final Solution from Merv's Mum) I do this every few days when I rinse out the pail.

interesting about the pantyliner..very interesting...I was woundering how I would use my tea tree/lavender drops in the pail.

We have a pail (well square plastic box) but must confess that I tend to pile them into a carrier bag and they then stay there until washing (usually every 1.5 days or so). I then don my latex gloves and load the machine, then throw away the carrier.
I think they do need to be confined to one place, whether that be a pail, box or bag is up to you. One day I'll be the perfect housewife and do things properly!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leoniee
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->