Did anyone have to go on bedrest?

EngineerGirl

Expecting Baby #1
Reaction score
Popping in from second tri (if that's OK) while on bedrest at 24 weeks. Did anyone have to go on bedrest during their pregnancies? If so, any advice? Encouraging words? I could use some! Hope you don't mind my invading.

Hey! I went on bedrest at 34 weeks due to some pre-term contractions...It was june and the weather was amazing and I was stuck indoors on a couch all day! Just buy some books, rent movies and talk on the phone....that's what I did to pass the time! Luckily mine ended at 37 weeks! and baby was born at 38+2 so I didn't have to go through much on BR...good luck hun, baby is all worth it xx

I was on bedrest(ish) for a month. I knitted some cardis, watched a tv series, red the Girl With the Dragon Tattoo books and read up on pregnancy/newborns/breastfeeding etc etc, and my partner bought me a DS, which I took to appointment waiting rooms and when I was admitted to hospital.

My advice is, if you've been told to rest DO IT! My bedrest started just after I moved house, and I just didn't feel 'ill' and felt guilty about being home while OH worked, so I kept getting up to do stuff - not heavy stuff but sat and unpacked boxes, or went and washed up, looking back on it, my job was to stay safe and stay pregnant, so I should have relaxed completely. Don't feel guilty about relaxing and enjoying the peace and quiet before bubba arrives, you'll have plenty of time to run around with a million jobs to do later!! :)

I was on bedtest from 13-17 weeks due to bleeding and then from 28 weeks till 34 weeks when she was delivered by c-section! (ignore signature!-technically she shouldn't be here yet lol!)
The first bit if bedrest was ok- I was at home. But the second lot I was kept in hospital! BORING!!
BUT... if it hadn't been for the bed rest my pregnancy could have ended very differently!

Make the most of having time to do nothing- when LO is here time
For you goes out of the window! I read and slept a lot! It was great! Get some films you like, I also found it a great time to get things in order, finish all my baby shopping (online) make lists of things I need to do or get someone to do!

Just keep thinking however boring it may be it's what's best for you and baby! And it does actually fly by!!

Look after your self!! Xxx

My advice is, if you've been told to rest DO IT! My bedrest started just after I moved house, and I just didn't feel 'ill' and felt guilty about being home while OH worked, so I kept getting up to do stuff - not heavy stuff but sat and unpacked boxes, or went and washed up, looking back on it, my job was to stay safe and stay pregnant, so I should have relaxed completely. Don't feel guilty about relaxing and enjoying the peace and quiet before bubba arrives, you'll have plenty of time to run around with a million jobs to do later!! :)

My bedrest started just after moving house too! What is it about moving? I have official doctor's orders to basically rest, shower, and use the bathroom and that's it and I am trying....but it doesn't seem to help too much.

Oh, but it'll be so worth it. :) I know - I'll never move house while pregnant again!! I didn't lift anything etc, but I wonder if it's the stress?? Just remember that every day of bedrest is a day less of fear, stress, upset (and eventually a bit of frustration/cabin fever) spent in SCBU. And like Jasa says, if you go into hospital it makes home rest seem like the most exciting thing on earth. :haha:

I think it's only looking back that I realise how much I really needed to be on bedrest. Even if my next pregnancy is healthy, I'm gonna camp on the sofa for 9 months. :haha: Good luck with your pregnancy, and keep you and bubba healthy and happy. :)

I was on bed rest 31-37w, due to pprom and preterm contractions, i lay on sofa with laptop and played fb games, online shopped,and used skype to chat to family n friends, i was taken off bedrest at 37w my contractions started up again 37+3, waters went 37+4, he was born 37+5, so brd rest was wrking to keep him cooking in my case

I was on bedrest from 18 weeks to 24 weeks due to my waters rupturing. They ruptured at 14 weeks but it wasn't picked up until a month later :dohh:

It did get frustrating at times but I kept thinking of my son and how the best thing I could do to keep him alive was to stay in bed.

I was on bed rest, in hospital, from 14 weeks pregnant, til I had a C section when I was 31+5. It was due to my own heart complications, nothing wrong with baby at all. I wasn't even allowed to get up from the bed. Every time I even sat on the edge of the bed, a nurse ran in and 'helped' (shoved) me back into the bed. I had a catheter in so I didn't have to get up to pee, and was only allowed to poop (tmi) twice per week :(

The one thing that kept me sane was I was allowed my own TV, games console, guitar and stuff. Because I was in for so long, I guess they had to make allowances in my case.

I was on bed rest for a total of 5 weeks through my pregnancy due to high blood pressure, too much fluid, early labour and generally I was worn down... I came off bedrest at 37 weeks and I had my daughter 2 days later because my placenta ruptured!! I wish I had of stayed on bedrest so she could have cooked more, it was so worth it in the end even though it was bloody boring the whole time!! Rest up sweetie! If the doctors want you to rest, you must need it!! Xx

I was on bedrest from 22 weeks until 38+2 when LO was delivered by section.
I was diagnosed with an incompetent cervix when I had a show at 22 weeks. My consultant was great and our target after having a cervical stitch was to get to 30 weeks. As you can see due to taking bedrest we beat that target. My consultant aid to me that 1 day inside me was the equivalent of 3 days in special care so bedrest was ot be taken very seriously as they didn't say it for fun!!
I had 4 months horizontal in hospital, bed at home and on the sofa (including over Christmas) and did online shopping, Nintendo DS, knitted LO loads (and i mean loads !!) of stuff (although my hands went numb after holding it up infromt of me when lying down) slept and generally organised the people who came to help and run errands. Friends visited but had to let themselves in and make their own cuppas (and one for me!) I watched TV and got into quite a routine of daytime TV. I did crosswords and puzzles and had a daily paper Going to hospital for a check up was a major trip out in the end. I wasn't able to do any antenatal or aything like that but was really well prepared by my consultant and midwives.
It seems like a nightmare but is so worth it in the end and you actually get used to it The only thing I found afterwards was my joints had seized up a bit and I found it hard to get going in the morning and to get up and down from the floor but that's worn off now. Take that bedrest and make the most of it - you won't stop when little one is fully cooked and out in the wide world with you.
Hugs and thoughts and if you want to PM me do - I know what it's like!!

All the encouraging stories are so helpful! I see my doctor tomorrow to find out if bedrest continues or not - almost 25 weeks!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->