did anyone watch benefit street?

sorry but what parent lets their 5 year old play on the street without a adult

I thought this weeks was much sadder than the first week.
You could tell the mum did care for the kids but she was completely clueless, letting her child eat sugary cereal at 1am and not getting him to bed until 5am. She did look like she was trying, the look the health visitor gave them when they told her about the naughty porch!!

Its just a different way of life than what iv ever known id never let my 4 year old hang out the street with alcoholics and drug addicts and little gerrard new what weed was and what it looked like :(

The family with the young children thought they were doing well because they stayed together but what does that prove when they are always shouting ( of course this is nothing to do with benefits, any family can be like this)

They kept saying they were so young but they looked older than me and im 24? Maybe the drugs have aged them

I thought this weeks was much sadder than the first week.
You could tell the mum did care for the kids but she was completely clueless, letting her child eat sugary cereal at 1am and not getting him to bed until 5am. She did look like she was trying, the look the health visitor gave them when they told her about the naughty porch!!

Its just a different way of life than what iv ever known id never let my 4 year old hang out the street with alcoholics and drug addicts and little gerrard new what weed was and what it looked like :(

The family with the young children thought they were doing well because they stayed together but what does that prove when they are always shouting ( of course this is nothing to do with benefits, any family can be like this)

They kept saying they were so young but they looked older than me and im 24? Maybe the drugs have aged them
Heroin does "age" people quite drastically.

See I don't think there is anything shameful about claiming benefits IF it's because you can't find work, got made redundant and became a single parent etc. it's not the actual claiming benefits that is so offensive, it's when you choose to be a lazy drunken, chain smoking lout that spends all day at home but can't even be bothered to keep their house tidy and clean, BATHE their children and have NO desire to change because hey you're 'entitled' to live for free. It's shocking.

I do think they should also make programmes about people claiming benefits that don't prioritise their tiny income to spend on cigarettes and alcohol, don't swear in every sentence, have a clean home, well cared for children and basically some pride and ambition.

See I don't think there is anything shameful about claiming benefits IF it's because you can't find work, got made redundant and became a single parent etc. it's not the actual claiming benefits that is so offensive, it's when you choose to be a lazy drunken, chain smoking lout that spends all day at home but can't even be bothered to keep their house tidy and clean, BATHE their children and have NO desire to change because hey you're 'entitled' to live for free. It's shocking.

I do think they should also make programmes about people claiming benefits that don't prioritise their tiny income to spend on cigarettes and alcohol, don't swear in every sentence, have a clean home, well cared for children and basically some pride and ambition.

Completely agree.

I could have cried at the kids on this week's show. I strongly strongly believe those parents should be forced to take parenting classes or else look at having their kids removed. Every child deserves a chance in life. These children have none the way they are living at the minute!

they always point out the bad stuff though, so the media can tar us all with the same brush!

ive been called quite a few things because im single & on benifits. - through no choice of my own, ide rather be on my own than with her violent dad!

i do work, ok not 40 odd+ hours a week, i work 2 evenings a week so shes in bed & left with a baby sitter.

my child comes first!
i do smoke but if i have bills to pay they come first & smoking comes last. i only spend about £5 a week on tobacco.

my house isnt spotless, its always got puzzles or books & toys about but it is pretty clean!

i do not let her play out on the street, she will sometimes go out on her scooter but i am right there with her, not indoors on my arse!

x

ETA: just re read that! its not aimed towards anyone, the programme makes me angry :dohh:

x

I think Channel 4 often selects the worst parts to put on documentary type shows like these. It makes the people seem worse than they are and it pulls an audience in to keep watching it. They did it with 'People Like Us' which was filmed in Harpurhey. The people in the show said that they'd chosen the worst bits and presented them as far away from who they actually were, and even complained, wanting it taking off the air.

It's an interesting programme but I did feel sorry for some of the children.

totally ignoring the main point here... BUT why were the houses so disgusting when they are home all day :/ ewwww

Because looking after two kids, taking drugs, smoking, drinking and watching tv is tough work. Especially when you have to cook a frozen pizza....

(Ps this was light hearted.. I know most people on benefits are decent people... Just not the ones shown on the programme)

they always point out the bad stuff though, so the media can tar us all with the same brush!

ive been called quite a few things because im single & on benifits. - through no choice of my own, ide rather be on my own than with her violent dad!

i do work, ok not 40 odd+ hours a week, i work 2 evenings a week so shes in bed & left with a baby sitter.

my child comes first!
i do smoke but if i have bills to pay they come first & smoking comes last. i only spend about £5 a week on tobacco.

my house isnt spotless, its always got puzzles or books & toys about but it is pretty clean!

i do not let her play out on the street, she will sometimes go out on her scooter but i am right there with her, not indoors on my arse!

x

ETA: just re read that! its not aimed towards anyone, the programme makes me angry :dohh:

x

Sorry you have been called names, it's so unfair that the media portray benefit claimers this way.... It's not a true perception in the majority of cases :hugs:

Im at home and my house is messy BUT not like theres. Mine is messy from cooking and baby related things, not old food and junk.

I have no issues with people that are on benefits, if we qualified id certainly have them, its just when there abused and when two parents cant be bothered looking for work (dont take that the wrong way I know in some areas finding work is hard)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->