Did something stupid! Now I'm worried we're going to get in trouble!

Beccaboop

Mummy to Jacob
Reaction score
So I'm learning to drive and have had about 6 lessons and my instructor says I'm doing well so last night after oh and i had been out for a meal and mil was babysitting ( so lo wasnt in the car!) i asked if i could drive ohs car around the carpark even tho im not insured to drive his car.

It went a bit wrong when i forgot to use the brake to stop when i parked and crashed into the post. We were fine and so is the car altho oh said he can see a dent i cant see it. The post is now in a different position tho. :nope:

He said they might of seen it on cctv as it was a supermarket carpark and 'the system' will know im not insured to drive his car so we might get in trouble. :cry:

Im worried now!

I know it was very stupid and I'm obviously not ready to drive without my instructor and wont be driving ohs car again until ive passed my test so please dont lecture me!

No idea about the CCTV, but all sorts happen in these car parks so they might not even check.

Why don't you phone up the insurance company and get a quote? It might not be as much as you think x

Obviously you have the issue of whether or not you own.up as you have damaged the supermarket's property. That is up to you.

If the police were to become involved I think you would be looking at a slap on the wrist, £70 fine (think that is still the amount but may be more now) and 3-6 points.

I doubt they'll even bother to check, incidents causing minor damage probably happen fairly regularly in car parks. The only way 'the system' would know that you weren't insured would be if the supermarket called the Police (I doubt they will) and they then checked.

Obviously you have the issue of whether or not you own.up as you have damaged the supermarket's property. That is up to you.

If the police were to become involved I think you would be looking at a slap on the wrist, £70 fine (think that is still the amount but may be more now) and 3-6 points.

Thanks for replying. So its me that would get in trouble? wouldent oh get in trouble for letting me drive his car uninsured?

I personally would try and forget about it. Yes you shouldn't have done it but there is no point worrying yourself or ruining your points etc before you even have your licence. Noone was hurt and I'm sure you have learned not to it it. I don't think they will check and they wouldn't know you were uninsured as your oh could have been the one driving

This happened to me with an ex boyfriend. He was driving my car, he wasn't insured etc and he crashed into a lamp post in a morrisons car park. Never heard nothing. However my car was wrecked :( get some insurance - it could have been A LOT worse.

No idea about the CCTV, but all sorts happen in these car parks so they might not even check.

Why don't you phone up the insurance company and get a quote? It might not be as much as you think x

We will do when ive passed my test. I wont be driving his car again until then mostly cos i feel so guity but also cos all oh did was panic and shout which is why i think i panicked and forgot to use the brakes as i do know how to stop with my instructor we practice stopping all the time! :(

It will be fine :) I doubt they will notice ... Don't worry and just thank ur lucky stars it was only a post x

I doubt they will do anything about it. Besides it's unlikely the CCTV captured the vehicle reg. I deal with motor claims and yet to come across car park CCTV that identifies a car by the reg no it's generally poor quality.

Try not to worry x

I agree Hun. Try not to worry, it's just a post, they may not even notice and if they do I'll doubt they'll be that bothered. :hugs:

We will do when ive passed my test. I wont be driving his car again until then mostly cos i feel so guity but also cos all oh did was panic and shout which is why i think i panicked and forgot to use the brakes as i do know how to stop with my instructor we practice stopping all the time! :(

Oh I understand I'm learning too and on our policy(didn't cost much to add me) and hubby just moaned the whole time and my mind was going blank. Really I should be driving us places when kids aren't with us but I just avoid it. X

I think you can get in trouble for letting someone drive your car uninsured, but tbh unless the post is very obviously damaged I doubt they will even notice and check. So long as you think the post is safe and not loose, which I assume it will be if the car isn't even damaged, I wouldn't worry.

Thanks for replying. So its me that would get in trouble? wouldent oh get in trouble for letting me drive his car uninsured?

Yes he would. I think he could potentially lose his license although it's very unlikely to happen- worst case scenario is he loses his license and you either lose your provisional and get a fine or just get a fine. I don't think you can get points for a crash. Like others have said though it's unlikely the supermarket will notice or check and if they do the police probably will just tell you off.

Funnily enough I did the same. I have had no lessons and went onto df's car park for a lesson from him. He told me it was impossible to crash because we would only be going backwards and forwards and the car park is big. However, both he and I got overly confident in my abilities and decided to try turning to go behind the work building and I crashed into the wall of the building as I over turned the wheel. Building was fine but his car wasn't. Huge bump in the bumper that cost £400 to fix. I'm now terrified of driving and daren't apply for lessons (although he is pushing for me to learn with an instructor soon) you'll be fine. Xx

I'm sure it will be fine but for the person who saod the fine plus the points that's right except now any points on your provisional I think you get your provisional roved? I might be wrong but I'm sure that's what I was told of you get 3/6 points it's to removed x

I'm sure it will be fine but for the person who saod the fine plus the points that's right except now any points on your provisional I think you get your provisional roved? I might be wrong but I'm sure that's what I was told of you get 3/6 points it's to removed x

I had a crash once and the police said I couldn't get points for it, only a fine, loss of license, or made to go on a course for dangerous drivers (I didn't in the end, wasn't found at fault). But yeah if you get 6 points you lose your license if you've only a new driver, and I'm not sure about provisional but I'm sure it's the same if not fewer points to lose the license.

You won't have any trouble from that don't worry, but for future reference whoever is supervising you has responsibility for anything that happens in the car.
Xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->