Did you use any natural remedies during birth?

RedRose

New mum :)
Reaction score
Hello all :flower:

I'd like to use as many natural remedies as I can during and after birth, and wondered if anyone can recommend anything that worked for them.

I'd like to use Lavender Essential Oil during the birth, and afterwards in the bath to help healing. I'd also like to use Rose Essential Oil, just because I find it really intoxicating and calming. Hopefully it will help me to relax and stay calm!

I'd also like to start taking arnica, but I've read different things about how to take it. Some say to start taking it throughout the day a couple of weeks before your due date, and continue for a couple of weeks after. Others say to take it as you start going into labour. Have any of you used it? And do you know if you can take it while breastfeeding?

Any advice or suggestions would be much appreciated.

about a week before i was due i started using clary sage and lavender oil in the bath, they can be used to induce so dont use until youre pretty much due though

i was gna make up a labour oil and use that but tbh my labour progressed too quickly without me realising and i ended up being rushed into hospital in an ambulance :dohh:

x

The hospital I'm going to is very pro aromatherapy so they have oils available in the room to be used and the MW have been trained to 'administer' them.
We had the following information about oils available and best to use:

Jasmine
This has a tonic effect is the uterus and enhances uterine action. It reduces anxiety and eases pain. The smell is strong so may need to be blended with grapefruit essential oil. Suitable for massage, bath, compress or vapour. Start with 4 drops in a bath.

Lavender
Also slight tonic effect on uterus. Good for insomnia, headaches, anxiety, fear and stress. Avoid if bloos pressure already low as can reduce blood pressure. suitable in bath, massage, compress and inhalation

Mandarin
This uplifts the mood and provides energy boosting effects. Avoid contact with direct sunlight for 12 hours if applied direct to skin.

Peppermint
Used for nausea via inhalation methods. Avoid use with any cardiac compromise, epilepsy or liver problems. (Not to be used on/with babies under 3 years old as can cause apnoea or larygospasm)

Chamomile Roman
Used to promote relaxation, ease anxiety anger and fear. Eases pain. It has a mild tonic effect of the uterus, so not to be used in early pregnancy. Suitable for use in bath, massage, compress and vapour

Clary Sage
Enhances uterine action so not to be used in early pregnancy. not to be used if contracting well already. It also has a narcotic effect, so helps with relaxation and pain relief. If had previous uterine surgery it may not be good to use so please talk to Doctor about its usage. For use in bath, massage, compress or vapour. Start with 4 drops in a bath

Frankincense
This is really good to provide a calming effect and carry away panic. Especially good for transition stage of labour. It also help ease pain, tension and fear. It smells strong so may be best avoided by people such as asthmatics. It is good for clearing of throat/colds as it has a similar smell and ability as Olbas Oil/Vicks Vapour rub - but natural. Suitable for use with any method of application.

my hospital had a couple of armoatherapy oils too and i had whilst there chamomile in my bath, tho tbh it was pointless as i was only in it literally 2 minutes as my labour progressed too quickly aswell tbh. At home earlier in the labour I had lavender oil in my bath which was lovely. I also used hypnobirthing cds and tens machine which was bliss!

I used Arnica cream after birth, slapped on liberally down below, all bruising and swelling was gone alot faster than my friend who had her baby 2 days after me!

I used Arnica, not sure how much it worked, I still had a horrible heavy feeling down there for a while afterwards, but who knows maybe it would have been worse with out it?!

I used TENS and hypnotherapy and would recommend it to everyone! I had a shot of pethidine which did wonders and let me drift in and out of sleep for the last few hours during dilation, before that the TENS was great...but then actually pushed and gave birth with nothing.

Embarrassingly I had G&A for 2 stitches afterwards though

Bachs rescue remedy is fantastic and may be of interest to you?

Thank you so much for your input, really helpful :thumbup:

Clary Sage Oil sounds really interesting, will give that a go I reckon.

I like the sound of Arnica cream as well as tablets. Didn't think of Bach's either! Will have to take a trip to Holland and Barrett. :thumbup:

I've got a tens machine ready and have been listening to relaxing music, just gotta hope it all goes to plan now!

Bachs rescue remedy is fantastic and may be of interest to you?

I recently found that they do pastilles with it in... yummy, they taste of flowers! Great for de-stressing when you have a screamy baby.

For the beginning of both I had baths with clary sage oil in, I took caullophylum (sp?) during Indies labour to try to speed it up. I used arnica cream down below after the birth.
During the labours as I had back to back labours with both I taught my OH to press and rub a point in my back to help with the pain. More then anything I just breathed my way through it, I only had gas and air with both my babies because I refused to even consider any other pain relief and to be honest I didn't feel I needed it even though both of my labours were long (31 hours and 14 hours). And I was in the pool with Indie til I was 10cm. Unfortunatly I did have to have a spinal when I had my placenta removed after having Lylah. I think I demolished a whole bottle of rescue remedy during both labours aswell lol

A friend of mine saw a homeopath a couple of weeks before birth and got a whole homeopathic birth kit with different remedies depending on what stage of labour and what types of pain she was experiencing. I think it was pretty expensive, about £50, but she swore by it and reckoned it was amazing. If I had known about it before birth I think I might have given it a try myself.

cypress oil is VERY healing to have with lavender in baths after and if you suffer from piles mix it with lavender and a carrier oil to apply and they shrink back faster than with any medicated creams and pessaries :)

One of my midwives actually had a post registration aromatherapy qualification and used clary sgae and lavender to give me a massage. Bliss!

i used lavender, bergamot, grapefruit and frankincense oils. i had jasmine and clary sage on order but baby arrived before them, my birthing pool and my tens machine! would recommended natal hypnotherapy too. had a quick and easy labour with first baby born at home, with no pain relief till i was 7cms and then just gas and air, so i think they helped me a lot!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->