Did your LO gain weight when you started weaning....

ellismum

Ellis' mum!!
Reaction score
....a greater rate?

I ask as I got Ellis weighed today. at 24 weeks he was 17Ib 7oz, on the 50th line and today, 28 weeks he was 19Ib 4/2oz putting him just under the 75th. He is based on BF babies but we started cutting down 8 weeks ago and then stopped 4 weeks ago. He used to follow the 25th line until about 20 weeks when he jumped up (lots of milk drank) I have a new HV :growlmad:and she suggested cutting back what Ellis eats. He never eats till his full and whilst he has 3 meals he only eats 2 as I am mixing purees and BLW) I am going to cut his bottles back to 6oz (losing 4oz over the day)but I want to see if Ellis is the only one who has done this? (If i've not confused you :dohh:lol!!)

Mine actually slowed down a ton when once on solids. BUT it's very normal for a breastfed baby to gain very quickly for 6mo then start to slow down. even if you stopped 4wks ago and did formula now he gets more calories from that than regular food. I wouldn't cut him back. I would let him eat until he's full. As he gets more mobile that weight gain will slow down a ton

This is what I was worried about.. I made a post the other day as I was worried I was overfeeding Violet as she's started eating (doing BLW) but not yet cutting down any milk.

The week we started BLW, she was 18lbs and half an oz. Today, almost a month to the day, she's 19lbs and half an oz.

I know it might be a bit early to see whether she's gaining more weight now because she hasn't been swallowing and eating for long but I honestly thought she'd weigh more.

To be completely honest, HVs seem to advise weaning to help weight gain but everywhere else says that food does not contain as much calories as milk and therefore isn't very good for helping weight gain.

I'm sorry I'm not much help but I've had the same concerns.

I'm just gonna trust Violet and let her decide how much she wants/needs. They have a growth spurt around 6months so that could explain the jump in weight with Ellis.

The weight gain will probably start slowing down soon and they'll need more calories as they start moving around and crawling and sitting a lot more.

Thanks :hugs:I'm worried as I am overweight and it "runs" on my fathers side of the family and I really fear Ellis being an overweight child. He's not chunky, compared to some babies he looks lean and is long (although she wont measure him, takes to much time and there are other mums waiting :dohh:) He often wants more after he has had his meal and is content with his bottles.

Thanks :hugs:I'm worried as I am overweight and it "runs" on my fathers side of the family and I really fear Ellis being an overweight child. He's not chunky, compared to some babies he looks lean and is long (although she wont measure him, takes to much time and there are other mums waiting :dohh:) He often wants more after he has had his meal and is content with his bottles.

Sounds like Violet!
To look at her, you wouldn't think she weighs as much as she does.. But then on the other hand she is so long. 9 weeks ago she was the average length for her age now. My clinic don't seem to want to measure them either :growlmad:

I have heard you can overfeed with FF, but it's when you start wiggling the teat in their mouth which makes them suck. If you don't do whatever it takes to get him to take more milk then I'd say you're doing great and he will soon burn off any extra weight once he's on the move a bit more!

I have exactly the same worries but keep reminding myself that Violet is so long and she's really active (couple of mums commented in the clinic today how active she is compared to other 6month old babies they know.. I think we sometimes forget as we see it everyday), she's never bleeding still, not even when asleep!

He dropped weight beforehand but has gained steadily since. She mentioned last time that he's on the 20th but should be gaining more now he's having 3 meals a day. He constantly eats all day, all the right stuff, so im lost!

Sounds like Violet!
To look at her, you wouldn't think she weighs as much as she does.. But then on the other hand she is so long. 9 weeks ago she was the average length for her age now. My clinic don't seem to want to measure them either :growlmad:

I have heard you can overfeed with FF, but it's when you start wiggling the teat in their mouth which makes them suck. If you don't do whatever it takes to get him to take more milk then I'd say you're doing great and he will soon burn off any extra weight once he's on the move a bit more!

I have exactly the same worries but keep reminding myself that Violet is so long and she's really active (couple of mums commented in the clinic today how active she is compared to other 6month old babies they know.. I think we sometimes forget as we see it everyday), she's never bleeding still, not even when asleep!

He never stops:dohh: He's been dragging himself around for 2 months now and over the last week he's been taking small crawls but goes on tip toes instead of on his knees:dohh:

I will drop an oz of his milk in his bottles. He's on way more than the recommended 600mls (around 900mls) and will stop when he's had enough. I

He dropped weight beforehand but has gained steadily since. She mentioned last time that he's on the 20th but should be gaining more now he's having 3 meals a day. He constantly eats all day, all the right stuff, so im lost!

:hugs:He's doing what my HV wants Ellis to do, stay on the same line. If you look at the lines, the gain slows down at this point anyaway. Is he staying on the 20th?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->