Did yours get homework for christmas holidays?

kerrie24

me,him and 3 lo's
Reaction score
My son (aged 10,year 6) got 38! pages of maths homework,which seems a lot to me,considering its christmas and he's meant to be having fun and a holiday!

He normally gets one double sided sheet on a friday and returns it on a tuesday which means he gets 2 nights and 2 full weekend days to do one sheet,but 38 for the 14 day holiday seems extreme!:wacko:

How much did your kids get?

Mine didn't get any but he is only in year 1 so i'm not surprised. My sister's youngest is in year 6 and she didn't get much in the way of homework at all.

Does your son definitely have to do it all or just as much as he can? It does seem an awful lot.

Yeah he has to do it all(Im not gonna push him in the holidays) but if he doesnt finish it,he misses break time every day until its done!
Im going to have a word when they get back to school.

That seems really harsh. I don't even think my eldest niece has that much homework to do and she's 14 so in year 9 i think. Also, thinking about it, my youngest niece can't of been given much at all as her cousin is in the same class as her and he has gone away for christmas to his mum's family in Switzerland and they haven't taken any homework with them and they will be away for the whole of the holidays.

Lucas got 2 books, which no doubt, we will leave till the last day :haha:

I haven't even looked in Jacks bag since he finished last Thursday so I don't know

Leah hasn't mentioned having homework though

Well hes had the last 3 days off so I told him to do a couple more pages today,but if he doesnt get it finished I'll go in with him on the monday and say I think its been far too much for the holidays and if they try to keep him in at breaktime I will go to the headteacher cos I think its wrong.

How did you get on with the school over this is seems wrong to issue so much with threats without any prior warning from the school.

Almost sounds like the teacher isn't doing her job properly.

Well apart from christmas day/boxing day he did a little homework every day(between 30 min-90mins) and he still didnt finish it all.It hasnt been mentioned because according to my son a lot of the other kids didnt bother at all.One of the sheets he didnt do got sent home on friday for homework.
Im starting to think they mustnt get the expected amount done during school time and thats why they sent so much,because now they are running extra claases ahead of the SAT tests.

its stupid to send so much over the holidays when kids and parents have lots of things on and families to visit im not surprised lots of kids never finished it.

At least they arnt carrying out threats and hes not alone although I would ask about it at parents night if not beforehand.

38 pages! What a joke. My 9 year old got none. I think the holidays are supposed to be holidays, no work. Especially at Christmas. He is so excited he would find it hard to concentrate.

my 6year old got nothing, not even some spellings or a new reading book. my 5year old had to draw what they got for Christmas and if they wanted to could also write about it.

That's ridiculous! I'm a secondary school teacher and I wouldn't even set my A level students 38 pages of homework to do over Christmas. The kids deserve a break too. Also, I wouldn't fancy returning to school
in January and having to mark it all!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->