Didn't think we'd make it to 6 months of breastfeeding!

DaisyAnne

Reaction score
and here we are! My original goal was to make it to 6 months and then see how it's going from there.

We struggled SO much in the beginning- tongue tie, crazy pain, baby refusing to latch, lots of screaming feeds, etc.
We also found out I had an infection on my nipple, mastitis, and thrush all overlapping. I didn't realize it for awhile (although my gut told me something wasn't right, everyone else just kept telling me it was sore in the beginning for everybody). Getting started breastfeeding was the hardest thing I've ever done- we ended up supplementing with formula a lot for about a week after my milk came in and once I could pump enough out, we supplemented with a bottle of expressed milk here and there. He had his last bottle at 7 weeks.

I just wanted to share all this as an encouragement to someone who may be struggling with getting started breastfeeding. I almost quit in the beginning, but I'm SO glad I didn't! We saw a lactation consultant twice and it got a lot easier. Since about 8 weeks it's been a complete breeze and now at 6 months it has been soooo worth it- no stopping anytime soon!

Congrats on reaching your 6 month mark, that's amazing especially with all of your bumps in the road.

Go momma!

X

Yay! Congratulations! I'm glad it's going so well now!

Congrats and good on you for sticking with it! I've got a 19-day old and we got off to a really bumpy start, but each day it gets better. Currently I'm supplementing him with formula and expressed breast milk, with the goal of getting him back on the breast ASAP. (my nipples were shredded and I had to take him off until they are healed.) The pumping and feeding schedule is so hectic, but I'm hoping it will all be worth it. Glad to know other people have had similar experiences and go on to breastfeed successfully for months, and even years.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->