diet/anyone seen a nutritionist?

tina426

Reaction score
I think i might ask my doc to recommend one next time I'm in....

I started my pregnancy with bmi on high side (32), with "morning sickness" (i was lucky i never puked just felt nauseated for 16 weeks...) i lost about 8lbs. Now in the past 10 weeks I've put on the 8lbs +4 more. Most unfortunately in a lump of 9 impressive lbs from weeks 20-24 :/

Ive really tried to be diligent, and i failed the 1hr/go for by 3hr glucose test Thursday and suspect i have good reason to be....

But when i talked to my doc about it, she recommended really watching my sodium and fat intake (id mainly just been looking at calories and protein since I'd had no appetite for so long and had a severe meat aversion)...but when i try to balance everything I'm either failing at balance (typically either too much sodium or too much fat since fat and salt ate pretty much what makes non sweet foods taste good) or i worry not eating enough (I'm good at balancing up to about 1700 calories, dunno why but after that it spirals).

So questions: have others had this dilemma? Any favorite replacements? How much is everyone eating?

I've been to a nutritionist, my doctor referred me due to gaining weight after my first was born. Anyway, I was told everything is okay in moderation. To load up my plate as I normally would, then cut it in half. If I'm still hungry eat half of the second half. Not to deprive myself from the sweets, but really focus on how much is eaten. One small Halloween sized chocolate a day is perfectly fine. A whole candy bar isn't.

And to also try to fill up on vegetables and fruit first, especially for snacking, which is totally my downfall!

Drink plenty of water, and try to walk about 30 minutes extra a day.

I've followed a good amount of that and I'm down 6 lbs from the start. Good luck!

I think i might ask my doc to recommend one next time I'm in....

I started my pregnancy with bmi on high side (32), with "morning sickness" (i was lucky i never puked just felt nauseated for 16 weeks...) i lost about 8lbs. Now in the past 10 weeks I've put on the 8lbs +4 more. Most unfortunately in a lump of 9 impressive lbs from weeks 20-24 :/

Ive really tried to be diligent, and i failed the 1hr/go for by 3hr glucose test Thursday and suspect i have good reason to be....

But when i talked to my doc about it, she recommended really watching my sodium and fat intake (id mainly just been looking at calories and protein since I'd had no appetite for so long and had a severe meat aversion)...but when i try to balance everything I'm either failing at balance (typically either too much sodium or too much fat since fat and salt ate pretty much what makes non sweet foods taste good) or i worry not eating enough (I'm good at balancing up to about 1700 calories, dunno why but after that it spirals).

So questions: have others had this dilemma? Any favorite replacements? How much is everyone eating?

Full disclosure: I am trained as a dietitian/nutritionist though not currently working as one- I'm in grad school- so I think going to see one is a great idea! They can really help though, especially since your blood sugars may be running a little high (1 hour OG tolerance).

I think your weight gain of 12 lbs in 10 weeks is not too bad so far (you are supposed to gain about a lb a week in the second trimester). I suppose since your BMI was high to start with they are holding you to more strict weight gain guidelines (11-20 lbs, no?). But I wouldn't think you are way off, especially since you are only up a net of 4 lbs. If the doctor thinks a lot of that weight is water weight, that may be why he recommended reducing salt. It seems possible, particularly since you gained the majority so quickly.

A dietitian nutritionist can help you balance your plate; I would highly recommend you do see one. I think if you do fail the 3 hr OG test, they will refer you. Here's hoping you don't though! Either way, if your insurance will cover it I would say go for it! Nutrition during pregnancy can be so complicated because of the queasiness etc.!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->