Dieters: Potatos?

S

Serene123

How bad are they? I've been soooooooo good today and they would finish my dinner off...... Not worth it if they're not alright though?

I think that they're not that good for dieting... but if you eat them in moderation I think you'll be alright... especially with your allotted amount of calories. Do you have websites you can look up calories and nutritional facts there? I know here I used one called calorieking.com and some others, which I'm sure you can access tons over there! Look into them, their helpful - even if just for an estimate!!

Potatoes are fine.

Like most other foods, all you need to do is ensure that you are eating the proper calories/macros (fat, protein, and carb grams) for your goals.

Use a weigh scale or use the scale at the grocery store when measuring your potato. Generally, a fist size is appropriate.

Carbs are essential to a healthy body.

You can also choose sweet potatoes or yams as an alternative. For potatoes, I like to top it with a bit of fat-free cottage cheese and chives, with 1oz measure of skim milk cheese.

All good things in moderation. Dieting is NOT about restricting proper whole foods and starving. After all, how many people who do that are fit and healthy? I don't think you'll find many.

I agree with Aliss, it's all about moderation. I eat potatoes on the WW plan, I'm just careful with how I make them and also make sure to have the correct portion size

What's the best way to eat them? I've just boiled some new potatos? :lol:

:shrug: Don't think it matters. Try to limit butter/margarine, if you mash stick to skim milk, if you add cheese use it sparingly and try to use the fat free or 2% kind.

I don't eat potatoes when I'm dieting to be honest. I see quicker results when I don't eat too many carbs but there's nothing wrong with eating them. I wouldn't ever mash them on a diet cos the butter and cream is no good but you can easily make oven chips with a teeny bit of olive oil drizzled on them before you cook them :) nom. Watch your portion sizes too, carbs have lots of calories.

if you don't get enough carbs, you'll run out of energy, get hungry and be tempted to binge. They are an essential food group.
As someone mentioned above, weigh a portion and work out calories in a meal.
No foods should be forbidden in a diet!
I ate out at a chinese last week and ended up losing 3 pounds!! with bread and potatoes included in my other meals
It can be done!
xxx

You can mash them with fat-free sour cream and add as much veg (chives, etc) as you'd like. I would use about 1/4 cup of sour cream per potato, if I were to do it myself and measure out just one potato portion for myself. You can also add 1 tsp of parmesan and it will flavour nicely. I wouldn't use any butter or cream. If you wish, use non-hydrog margarine (maybe 1 tsp worth is even enough) and half-fat cream (it is available where I live, I don't know about you). You can everything you want when "dieting" (or lifestyle change, as I like to call it), just make sensible substitutions and portions.

When I was on SW I lived on baked poatoes and SW chips or wedges. I par boiled the chips/wedges, then put them on a preheated baking tray, sprayed with fry light and sprinkled with cajun spice. Gorgeous :D

When I was on SW I lived on baked poatoes and SW chips or wedges. I par boiled the chips/wedges, then put them on a preheated baking tray, sprayed with fry light and sprinkled with cajun spice. Gorgeous :D

that sound scrummy!!! How many calories does that have? Xx

Not sure TBH as I had them on green days at SW and therefore you can have as many as you want as freefood :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->