Different godparents for different children?

Pearls18

Reaction score
When we were choosing godparents for DS we chose mostly from my family, and agreed we would choose from DH's family for the next baby. This is totally normal for my family, my brother and I have totally different godparents. So our best friends and my brother and his fiancé are DS's, and we were going to do DH's 2 brothers and sister for this child. However, it has just occurred to me that I don't want DS's godparents to be offended if they are wondering why they haven't been picked for this child, to me this is totally normal in my family but is it what other families do? What is your experience of this?

completly normal in ours...all my cousins have a mix of the other uncles/aunts. i assumed that was the done thing?

me and my brother had different Godarents.
If I ever get my second child, s/he will have different Guideparents to Daniel.

Mine will have all the same godparents, River has 6 though (my best friend, her parents, other best friend, his wife and his mum) because i thought having both generations was nice.

Mine have got different godparents. We had family from my side for DD and friends from my OH side for our DS xx

Thank you, I just wanted to check my family weren't totally odd meaning DS's godparents would be expecting it. Hopefully they will understand, obviously my brother will but might be worth mentioning to our friends. Will be nice to include DH's family, we're much closer now, when we had DS I didn't have much to do with them but since having DS we've all made much more effort so will be nice to "include" them in this way.

In my family we all have different Godparents, like a PP said, I always thought it was the done thing.

I think it's a fairly normal thing to have different godparents for different children. I'm not christened but my older brother and sister are and they have different godparents and most people I know have either got different godparents to their children or for their children x

How strange, i just logged on to make a post to ask this same question :)
we are choosing differant godparents for this one, last time it was OH sister and cousin so this time i wanted someone from my side but didnt want the original two thinking i didnt choose them for any bad reasons.
I dont actualy have many i trust for this role on my side as none of the direct relations are religious but i am rather close to my cousins wife who is catholic and very level headed so i want to pick her but then my cousin comes into the package by default :) we where raised more as brother and sister but hes rather childish but his wife keeps him grounded.
I just have to make sure its his wife that give any spiritual guidance as my cousin (who is religious but a idiot) tried insisting jesus was around same time as dinosours last christmas :)

Yes that's quite normal. Hubby has 2 sisters and they have a mix of godparents, I think one of his godfathers is also godfather to one of his sisters but other than that they're all different.

Traditionally it's 2 godmothers and 1 godfather for a girl, and 1 godmother and 2 godfathers for a boy - so stands to reason by that alone you'd get some variation. We didn't do that with our daughter though, she's got 2 godfathers and 1 godmother.

My sister and I have different godparents. I would consider it normal.

All the various siblings is my family have different ones yes :)

If/when we add to our family we'll choose different godparents to Raffy's. In my family everybody had different Godparents. All of us (as in siblings as well as cousins) have just 2 godparents, some couples some not.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->