Difficult decision...help please

I would do all you can the week before to help ripen the cervix. Evening primrose oil and raspberry leaf tea are good. I am pregnant with my 5th child and the last 2 I used both of those and 1 of them start to finish labor was 2 hours 40 minutes and other was 50 minutes. I dilated very quickly. I don't know if it was because of that but there are studies that say the primrose does ripen the cervix.

I'd have a planned c section for these reasons

You say your OH can be with you if you go this route?

I have friends that have had planned c sections and friends that have had emergency and those that had planned c sections had really easy recoveries compared to emergency

I had an induction which lasted 2 full days, 8 hour labour with 2 failed epidirals and back to back labour. It wasn't fun!

And finally I'm not one of those people that think medical professionals are just out to get us :haha: so I'd trust my OB and his suggestion.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Birth is just a means to an end

I'm curious about why there's a 50% chance of an emergency caesarian?
My last two babies were induced at 37 and 38 weeks due to gestational diabetes. No caesarian needed, or even discussed.

I think it's due to the fact that at 38 weeks your body may not be ready/ cervix unfavourable which leads to more intervention and increased risk of foetal distress also possibility of the induction failing completely!

I would do all you can the week before to help ripen the cervix. Evening primrose oil and raspberry leaf tea are good. I am pregnant with my 5th child and the last 2 I used both of those and 1 of them start to finish labor was 2 hours 40 minutes and other was 50 minutes. I dilated very quickly. I don't know if it was because of that but there are studies that say the primrose does ripen the cervix.

Thanks, yes I will certainly be trying EPO, RLT, exercise and OB said she would give me a cervical sweep also!
Glad your experience was positive!
:flower:

Another thing to keep in mind is that you can get checked to find out whether you're favorable for induction. If you're starting to dilate and efface, you're much more likely to have a successful induction than if everything is closed up tight. A couple checks leading up to your potential induction date would give you a better idea of your specific odds of avoiding a section - you may find that your decision is easier if you're at either extreme. You could also talk to your doctor about what you can do to encourage cervical ripening - red raspberry leaf tea, evening primrose oil, etc. I wouldn't start anything like that without talking to the doctor, but they can be helpful in getting your body ready.

Thanks, yes planning on trying the RLT , EPO etc.
I asked my OB if we could keep an eye on his weight/size and my cervix and although she agreed to look and give me a sweep in week 37 she is saying that if I want an elective/ planned c section I need to let her know by next week! I don't see why though! Need to ask more questions!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->