Difficulty Swallowing (Dysphagia)

blinker86

Reaction score
Since about the end of week 8, I started having this weird feeling in my esophagus as if food were stuck there and would not move down. The sensation is in my throat just a bit above my collarbones. Since it began, it's occurred probably 40-50% of the time that I eat, regardless of what I have. This sensation can last for several hours, and nothing seems to make it go away. It doesn't necessarily hurt, but it is definitely uncomfortable and makes it hard to enjoy eating anything.

After doing some reading, it seems that this is tied to acid reflux, but I haven't really found any great info on how to overcome this. I do have an appointment with my doctor next week and plan to discuss it then, but I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this.

Yup! I have recurring GERD (acid reflux) whether I'm pregnant or not. The swallowing thing is definitely super annoying! It always makes me feel like I'm not chewing properly, which is clearly not the case. I took Zantac and Pepcid AC occasionally before pregnancy. Some people and doctors say they are fine to take during pregnancy but I didn't want to risk it. If it's really bothering you, I bet your doctor can suggest something that he/she thinks is safe. I take gavescon if it gets really bad. Other than that, lemon water is supposed to help and avoiding acid reflux triggers like greasy food and caffeine. Good luck!

I feel your pain :( I too am a sufferer of heartburn, both when pregnant and when not. It gets worse though when I am pregnant, probably because I stop taking Zantac, although if it gets so bad where it is making me feel sick I will take half of a pill just to get it to go away. I've tried Tums and Rolaids but neither of these seem to work for me when I'm pregnant, however some people I know have taken them during pregnancy and it helped them. It is just additional calcium (though Rolaids also have magnesium) and shouldn't hurt as long as you only take enough to keep it away. Try taking one a half hour before you eat. Good luck!

I'm glad to know that at least I'm not alone! I've really had no GI problems prior to pregnancy, aside from a bout of heartburn here or there, and I wish that were all I was dealing with because this is just an awful feeling. I've been using tums when symptoms occur, but I will definitely try them before meals to see if that makes a difference at all.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->