Dilemma - what would you do?!

katy1310

Mummy of 1
Reaction score
Aaargh!! We've got a decision to make and I REALLY don't know what to do - I hate decisions like this, I much prefer when the decision is taken out of my hands :haha:

Six months ago we moved into the rented property that we're in just now. It's really lovely - 4 bedrooms, massive kitchen and living room, playroom for Sophie, sunroom, shower room, family bathroom, garage, small garden (the garden is just a bit of decking and concrete, really quite small and all built up round it).

The house is perfect, the only thing I'd change is I'd love a proper garden that Sophie could run around safely in. We are right by the river, which is a beautiful setting, and about 10 minutes walk from the town centre. The one drawback - which is a pretty big one - is that it's a 2 mile walk UPHILL to where Sophie will be starting preschool in September and school next September. It's seriously a killer of a walk, it takes an hour minimum and I'm always absolutely knackered after it!

So....our lease is up on Wednesday and will be going to month to month. On Friday we found out that a house has come up in the village where Sophie's school is. I've always wanted to live there.....it's in the country but walking distance from the town, and such a lovely little village. We looked at the house tonight - it's empty just now so we had a peep in the windows. It does look lovely but is a bit smaller than what we have just now. It's 3 bedrooms, which isn't an issue really - we want to be able to have my brother, SIL and two children to stay but I'm sure we could work round that - my niece is only 1 so could go in with her parents, and my nephew is a year older than Sophie and they might be able to share Sophie's room, if they behaved!

It has a beautiful big garden, lots of grass for Sophie running around safely on, it's right in the country and just across the road from the school. Also just across the road from one of my good friends, who has a little boy Sophie's age. My friend says that house has just had a whole load of work done on it as well. It looks all newly done. Oh and there's a beach right there as well.

It's £25 a month cheaper in rent, and council tax is a cheaper band.

The things that are bothering me are:

We only just moved - can I handle moving again so soon?!
We'd need to find a deposit, as we wouldn't get ours back from here immediately.
It's a bit smaller, and we have a garage full of stuff that came from the loft in the old house :haha:
No playroom for Sophie when she's been used to one now but then she could use her bedroom as it's all on the one floor, and most children aren't lucky enough to have a playroom.
The kitchen doesn't look big enough for a table - but the living room is huge so could probably fit one.

The thought of being in the country and so close to the school is really really tempting me though! The thought of a 2 mile walk, versus just crossing the road......

Aaaargh! I would really appreciate any thoughts on this. We are going to ask to look at it anyway and see what we think.

I would bite the bullet and move! It sounds like you'll have a much easier life being closer to the school, In the village close to your friend etc.

I'd move! I seem to get itchy feet every 12 months or so and want to move :haha:
If you have the chance to go somewhere you've always wanted then why not for a few days of stress!

I'm very tempted - I think I'm just scared of giving up a house that we love, just in case the other one isn't so good. But just think of the stress that would be taken away by being in the village where the school is, and I grew up in the country and have always felt we are too much in the town....I always wanted Sophie to have that kind of quiet, stress-free upbringing as well....

Do it Hun it sounds like its just want you need. If it isn't what you love you could always make it what you love xx

I would go and see it as soon as you can arrange and see what kind of a 'feel' you get from it

I wouldn't want to give up the kind of place you have BUT I would die walking that every day so would probably move

I would move! Sell as much of the spare loft stuff etc as you can (most of the time we can live without the stuff we keep in storage) and that will help with the cost of move/deposit.

Thanks everyone, we're going to phone and see if we can go and see it, and take it from there. There's a lot to consider so we'll see what the place is like and go from there. I would just love to live in that village - if only we could pick up this house and move it to there :haha: Or we need to start doing the lottery - there's a house I've got my eye on to buy, only £500,000 :rofl:

Thanks everyone, we're going to phone and see if we can go and see it, and take it from there. There's a lot to consider so we'll see what the place is like and go from there. I would just love to live in that village - if only we could pick up this house and move it to there :haha: Or we need to start doing the lottery - there's a house I've got my eye on to buy, only £500,000 :rofl:

What did you go for in the end? X

I'd move. If school starts at 8.30 and it takes an hour (maybe more with a tired tot) that means setting out at 7.30! Up at 6.30ish? I'd choose to have longer in bed anyday! :haha:

Seriously though. It sounds perfect! Especially the garden! Good luck xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->