Disease diagnosis during pregnancy

Maze

Expecting 4th, 2 Angels
Reaction score
I am feeling really lost this week. I can't find much information about my situation online, and what I do find is hardly comforting.

Last Saturday I woke up with a horrible pain in my abdomen, and rushed to the toilet only to throw up blood. The pain didn't go away. My spouse took me to the local hospital which isn't all that big. Once there, they got me through right away and made sure the baby was okay. After that, they did blood work and then checked all my organs via ultrasound. I was on morphine for pain, medicine in the IV to try and stop my vomiting (though it didn't work) ...it was basically a giant blurry mess.

They eventually came back and told me my blood work and ultrasound were normal, and they couldn't find any explanation for the pain. However, they were very adamant I go to the hospital in the city where there are 'more specialized doctors.' They didn't even want to take my IV out.

Ulcer had been thrown around a bit, and my spouse was looking it up on his phone, and it seemed to line up. So I said I'd see how I felt the next day. They didn't argue with me.

Come Monday, I got a panicked call from my family doctor's office, saying I needed to come in that day, citing abnormal blood work. Weird, right? Since the hospital that took it told me it was fine.

I come in that night, they make it so I am seen before the walk-in clinic began. While I was sitting there, I get a call from the hospital I had been checked at. It was a doctor in the ER, not the one who had overseen my care. She said "You were to see your family physician today?" and I said "I am there right now." She said "Oh good, well we need to talk about your ultrasound..." I interrupted her. "My ultrasound? I am here because I was told my blood test was abnormal, which I thought was weird because your ER told me it was normal." The doctor sputtered a bit and said "Well, I don't have those results in front of me, but your ultrasound revealed that you have liver disease... as well as some spots that need an MRI to rule out cancer."

I began bawling right there in the waiting room. I don't know why the doctor didn't wait for my own physician to tell me in private. She knew I was right there.

While my gut tells me I don't have cancer, and some research suggests the spots are inflamed areas due to my disease... I am left feeling a bit hollow. I don't know why the ER sent me off like everything was fine, I don't know what to expect for this pregnancy... that has now been overshadowed with illness and fear. I am so tired, and I feel so sick... I just want help and answers. More importantly, I don't want to feel so alone.

Has anyone gone through something like this? Known someone who has? I didn't know I was sick before I got pregnant, I hadn't planned on getting pregnant in the first place, but at almost 13 weeks, I am too invested to just write it off. I am obviously worried about the baby too... and worried about the kids I already have. It's too much to deal with.

I just wanted to add that I don't drink, and I am not obese. So this disease has really caught me off guard. I didn't do anything to cause it.

I know nothing about what you are going through but I just wanted to give you a virtual hug.

Thank you for the hug, I was getting a little disheartened that no one had anything to say in reply. I get that it is a heavy topic though, and one of those worst case scenarios women who are expecting don't really want to think about.

I'm really sorry you are going through this, I can't really offer any advice either but I do hope for the best outcome possible for you!

I haven't and don't know anyone that's been through this. I pray it's not cancerous and your LO grows big and healthy. One day at a time hun. :hugs:

You're not alone Hun. I know this is terrifying for you but you will be ok. People live with liver disease. I know you'll have to change your diet and lifestyle but I'm sure over time you'll get used to it. Your oh sounds really lovely and supportive too. Speak to your Drs about how this will affect pregnancy but I'm sure baby will be ok. People must go through pregnancy with all kinds of illnesses. Sending lots of hugs. Never feel alone, you can always talk to your pumpkin mamas xxx

I don't know anything about what you are going through but I just wanted to offer my thoughts and best wishes. I hope you get some definite answers soon and that it's not bad news. You must be so worried, I hope you have lots of support around you. Take it one step at a time.

I'm having a difficult time even just finding the right words. I hope you find the strength and courage to get through this.

Oh hun! I am so sorry you are going through this.

Sending hugs,I have no idea what your going through but sounds like the doctors found it early,hopefully they can help you adjust to a different lifestyle to help your liver and help baby as well.im keeping my fingers and toes crossed for you xxx

Sorry your going through this I have no advice. :hugs:

:hugs:. I'm so sorry you're going through this worry, especially during pregnancy.
I went through health issues including diagnosis during my last 2 pregnancies; with my 2nd LO I was diagnosed with a valve (heart) disorder and with my 3rd LO I was diagnosed with thyroid issues and spent months fearing the worst due to worrying symptoms and delays in getting biopsy results (I have what turned out to be a benign tumor). I know my situation was different, and I don't have any experience with liver disorders, but I can sympathize with how hellish it feels to be pregnant and ill and the 101 thoughts that go through your mind throughout every day. If you want someone to talk to you can always PM me :hugs:

Thank you everyone for your well wishes.

Also, thank you so much for sharing your story Eleanor, it is comforting to know other people have gone through similar situations. Logically, I know they have, but it is still nice hearing from someone.

Today some results came back, and the spots on my liver are in fact lesions. :cry: The good news is my doctor doesn't think they're malignant, the bad news is they are still serious enough liver damage. I had just gotten to a head space where I was more calm, and now I've been thrown back into panic mode again.

Sending more hugs your way :hugs: It's great news that your doctor doesn't think they're malignant. It is still scary that there can be liver damage, but there is available treatment and because it's been figured out now - you can move forward with staying healthy for yourself and your children.

😟 sorry Hun. Glad they don't seem to be malignant though. :hugs:

I'm sorry I don't really have anything to say that'll help you in any way but I'm thinking of you. Sorry you're going through this.

I know it's easy for me to say this but until they complete full appropriate tests to determine if it is cancer or not I wouldn't panic many diseases of the liver can show up as spots on ultrasound. I would however make a big complaint about how you have been treated as that is not on at all. I pray you and baby both turn out to be ok and it's not cancer xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->