• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Dissapointed by poor weight gain

LoveCakes

Reaction score
My lb is a week old today. We started well, he only lost 5% of his birth weight then gained 110g in 3 days but only put on 10g in the next 2. The midwife said not to worry and to keep an eye on it and gave a few tips on fire and hind milk but I can't help being gutted after such a good start. I was letting him go 4 hours occasionally to squeeze naps or because we had visitors and now I feel like I should have been more proactive. He gets weighed again on Friday and I'll just be stressing until then :(

No point to this, I know all I can do is keep feeding but needed to put it down in words

I'm sorry. I just wanted to give you a big hug :hugs:

Also try not to worry or feel like you did something wrong. All babies are so different. Some really chub up like mine and some stay really slim as babies and older like my sisters, some sleep more, some sleep less. Unless your baby starts losing weight, you are OK. The baby will start getting more of the hind milk as he gets older and put on more weight. I know it's hard, but you are doing a great job :hugs:

I think weight should be viewed as a trend, not on a day to day basis. As a trend it sounds like you are doing fine!

They have until 2 weeks old just to get back to birth weight. Weigh fluctuates day to day so they shouldn't weigh so often. 2-3 times within the first 14 days then once every 4 weeks. No less than 2 weeks between weigh ins.

I'm in a similar situation - my daughter was 10lb at birth, lost less than 10% (I think it was around 5%) now she is two weeks old and still isn't back to birth weight :( I have to have her weighed again on Monday so I'm hoping she will have a spurt

Hi ladies, I have a almost one year old and we have always had the weight battle!! Just listen to your doctors, and your gut instincts and feed them as often as possible :)

DS was a medium sized baby at birth (7lbs 2 oz), and dropped a fair bit the first few days. After a week he began putting on a little bit of weight, and then gained up to his birth weight and above by maybe 3/4 weeks. After that, we were brought in at least every 2-4 weeks for a wieghing and it stressed me to the core! I dreaded the weigh in. Other than weight, he was progressing fine, meeting milestones before expected, he was alert and happy!

Finally at 9 months we had a weigh in and again he did not gain what they wanted, so they started FTT (Failure to Thrive) tests. I ws gutted and a nervous wreck the whole weekend while waiting on the results. When the Dr finally called, he said that they would leave me alone as his blood count, and organ tests that were done showed all was healthy and normal. He was not lacking in calories, or nutrients etc (although his iron was a bit borderline). So after all that stressing, the doctor said he is fine and healthy, and just a little guy!

He has been breastfed and on solids. I asked if I should have used formula and the Dr said no as BF is better if the mom is able and wiling.

So, in conclusion, some babies are small! I'm not saying to disregard what your doctor says. You should listen to them, but from a momma who has been stressed since he was born about the whole weight debacle, it might be alright :) Good luck!

Thanks ladies, I'm a bit nervous about tomorrow. He has been feeding well I think and it's been less painful.

The midwife suggested going back to previous boob to get the hind milk especially as his nappies were still green. It's day 9 and nappies are still green which Google says is too much foremilk so I don't feel confident.

My lg gained perfectly along her centile but was ff so I feel like I'm starting all over again with him.

He gained 50g in the past 3 days which I'm pleased with :)

Nappies are still green at day 10 so we have been referred to the GP as per their policy. The appointment is in an hour, but speaking to her on the phone and with the midwife since he's gaining weight and otherwise happy they're not too worried. She's going to check him for an infection but figures there would be a rash or other sign of being unwell.

There's always something to worry about!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amama
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->