Do 4mth olds get milk quicker than before? Also night feed question please.

Greta Chick

Happy mum of 3 :-)
Reaction score
Hi

Sorry for the rubbish title. What I mean is, at 4 months old my little one doesn't feed for as long during the day (5-8 mins if we're out or with other people) as she used to (minimum 10 mins) and she's going roughly every 2.5-3 hours now rather than bang on 2 hours.

Is this because she is now much more effective at getting the milk out quicker? I'm worried that she isn't getting as much if she's not sucking for as long and really don't want to start introducing solids until she's 6 months old (am planning on doing BLW).

She still feeds at 7pm bedtime, 9pm then around 11pm-12am upstairs. At 12 weeks she started waking at 2am, 4am and 6am or 3am, 5am and 7am for feeds before waking at 9-10am for the day and she's still doing it at 19 weeks, despite having had her growth spurt all those weeks ago.

I've tried giving her her dummy at the 4/5am feed but it takes her about 40 minutes to go back to deep sleep where she doesn't need to suck on it anymore and I'm wide awake by then because I've put it back in so many times, so I've given up on that and am back to bf her at that feed just because it takes 10 minutes and we both go straight back to sleep afterwards.

Can anyone advise please?

Thanks in anticipation :flower:

xx

It's probably just her becoming more efficient at feeding, as long as weight gain is fine (and do bear in mind many babies do halve their typical weekly weight gain at around four months and this is normal) and there are plenty of wet nappies then I wouldn't worry xx

My lo is 6 weeks so nowhere near the same age but feeds for 5 mins per breast and is gaining weight at a steady rate. I guess they must both get what they need.

At around 4m, Erin started this exact same thing!! Went from feeding minimum 10mins on each side to max 10mins both sides :wacko: I have weighed her every 2/3 weeks since she started this and her weight gain has slowed but she is still bang on her centile line. I asked the HV and she said that the regulate their feeding around 4m and get more efficent at getting to the hindmilk and taking what they need. So, normal! Phew!!!!

It's probably just her becoming more efficient at feeding, as long as weight gain is fine (and do bear in mind many babies do halve their typical weekly weight gain at around four months and this is normal) and there are plenty of wet nappies then I wouldn't worry xx

That's great, thank you. DD2 is still following her line so the hv aren't concerned about her at all, and you can see she's really active and alert and has nice chubby legs and arms :hugs:

xx

My LO has started doing the same thing! Feeds take max 10 mins and that's both breasts!

Last feed is normally at 9pm; she used to STTN but recently has started waking up around 4am; that's when our little dummy friends comes in and I try to settle her to sleep without a feed. But not always possible!

At around 4m, Erin started this exact same thing!! Went from feeding minimum 10mins on each side to max 10mins both sides :wacko: I have weighed her every 2/3 weeks since she started this and her weight gain has slowed but she is still bang on her centile line. I asked the HV and she said that the regulate their feeding around 4m and get more efficent at getting to the hindmilk and taking what they need. So, normal! Phew!!!!

Thank you, that's great. I feel quite reassured now :flower:

xx

My LO has started doing the same thing! Feeds take max 10 mins and that's both breasts!

Last feed is normally at 9pm; she used to STTN but recently has started waking up around 4am; that's when our little dummy friends comes in and I try to settle her to sleep without a feed. But not always possible!

That's reassuring that my DD2 isn't the only one doing this, thank you. I've tried the dummy but it takes her so long to go back to deep sleep that I'm wide awake by the time she nods off so bf is quicker and more appealing.

xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"