do all newborns feed continuously at night?

justkitty

First Time Mum
Reaction score
From every thing I've read newborns seem to feed for hours continuously through the night.

My dh has 4 weeks off work after baby no.2 arrives so I am wondering if I should plan to boot him into our spare room at night so he can get good sleep to look after our ds and isn't disturbed. Plus I'll get the tv lol. That way dh can do most of the hard work in the day time and I can sleep when baby sleeps mostly.

For the first few weeks I was told LO needs to eat every 2 hours. I had to wake her up for most feedings. Around week 4 I let her sleep for longer hours before waking her for feedings. She was gaining weight rapidly, so that was ok to do. Week 5 through 6 she would wake me up to feed. She was having a growth spurt. After that growth spurt she now sleeps anywhere from five to eleven hours at night before waking me up for food again.

It wouldnt be a bad idea but you may start to feel a bit lonely on your own when the baby is feeding. Newborns can feed for up to 2 hours a time when cluster feeding although of course it is usually alot shorter. Then again if you have the tv to keep you company then you may be just fine!:thumbup:

I really needed DH in the room for support as I would get lonely and sometimes feel helpless or teary eyed. Hormone madness. He would help out when she just needed settled so I could kip a bit. They need to learn how they can be of support to you. He could always buy earplugs? Now my DH usually sleeps through as I'm quiet when I feed H!

Not all newborns no, since day 1 piper has fed between 2-6 hourly, although I'm easily awake for an hour each feed when she does, if you have a laptop/iPad and telly then you'll be fine fro the company point of view....but I like m oh there as its his job to do the dirty nappies at night!

All babies are different, at least two of mine have only fed briefly at night and done stretches of 5-6 hours minimum from very early on xx

Eamon only fed every 3-4 hours during the night, but Liam was an all-night feeder. They're all different :)

Scarlett feeds every 2 hours, some nights she'll go 4 hours at the start of the night. Maybe wait and see how your baby feeds before kicking Hubbie out?

I liked having OH in our bed... for the little sleep I did get lol

I would take LO in the living room with the nursing pillow and OH never even stirred. I always had my blackberry ready so I could surf the net while she fed... I kept dim lights through the house so it was calm. Plus, after labour I would need to pee every time I got up with her anyways :dohh:

Some nights she fed every hour (the nights I felt delirious) and some very second, and on the best nights ever, 3 hours ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->