Do formula fed babies need water?

lolalei3

Mum of one gorgeous girl
Reaction score
My LO is 12wks old and we are in for a hot summer, ppl have told me I should start offering her cooled boiled water in her bottle separate to the formula. If I was to do this when would I give it to her, just when it's hot? And when? morning or night? between feeds or before feeds? And how much?

I can't say i have ever given my girls water while FF, but I know some recommend it

They don't usually need it but when my lo was constipated I would give her a tiny bit of water, like an oz, just before her feed xx

Just make sure not to give too much as they don't need a lot, and no need for every feed, I think I did every other feed for a while xx

It's news to me if they do. I never gave my LO water until he started solids, even when it was hot. Now he's on solids he gets a sippy at mealtimes.

I don't give my FF LO water. I might give her an ounce or two if she's constipated, but I don't give her water for no reason!

The say only give your bby water if:
They are ill and not drinking enough milk they need to keep hydrated.
Notice dehydration for example if there cradle cap dips.
also if they start weaning.
or if it is a really hot day you can give them a sip. of say 1 ounce.
a 3 month old doesnt need water generaly. xx

I only give my LO water if he has the hiccups, even then it's not much. He doesn't like drinking much of it

I was told to give water due to constipation but it was a few sips. Also, if they are screaming after an hour or so after a bottle, I was told to give them a sip of water as it could be thirst rather than hunger, but never needed to do this.

I offered LO water when hes been constipated or seems to have a bit of a bad belly. HV recommended it and said 1oz of water a day is fine if he needs that, but he doesnt, once a week or so my LO has it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->