Do I really need to know that much?

cluck123

Reaction score
I've started reading and just finding lots of lists of things you should and shouldn't do. I kind of think being relatively healthy and trying about 2-3 times a week should hopefully work in a few months to a year. Does it really make much difference counting cycles and do I really need to particularly avoid anything such as sensible alcohol intake before getting a positive test? I feel if I go over it in too much detail I'll just get stressed! Surely it's a natural thing.

I thought I'd chat with my GP about medications I take anyhow. I'm looking at folic acid supplements (do I need an expensive one with lots of extra vitamins and a pregnant woman on the front?!) :winkwink:

No, I don't think you NEED to know that much, just some women (myself included) just want to have a bit more control and an idea what's going on. I don't think it can hurt to take supplements, but I have discovered a pregnancy one in Tesco that was cheaper than the brand product. I don't know if there was a pre-natal one though. I imagine having a healthy, balanced diet and Folic acid will suffice for now! Good luck!

some of us read way too much about all of this and probably psych ourselves out over what we NEED to know. Plus a little knowledge is always dangerous. But for me, i wanted to get to know my cycles so i started BBT and OPK for a year and finally gave it up and am taking a more relaxed approach. Dont get all caught up in it or it will drive you crazy!
Babydust...

so True. the more you know, the more you get paranoid when things waive away from what your know. nonetheless, unique things happen. it's better to relax sometimes. it helps our minds and body function better.

That's good. I have a tendency to stress out and overanalyse. I did find some folic acid on its own in Superdrug at a very good price.

I've got a theory I'll try not to think about it too much for a few months and try and let nature take its course. I'll probably cave in and start obsessing about cycles if it takes too long though!

I might do some reading to check I'm not missing anything.

Just so you know holland and barrett do 250 folic acid tablest for about 3.50.

I think you're right to just let it happen. I often wonder if knowing so much and worrying about it all is what prevents people from getting pregnant sometimes!

Agree with pretty much what everybody else said. When we started trying for our first I'd not even joined this site so I knew absolutely nothing. I didn't even think about my 'fertile' times. We just 'did it' when we felt like it :haha: I'd been on the pill for 10 years and had been off it for 5 months when we started NTNP. I fell pregant on my 2nd cycle after we started NTNP.

The only thing I did do was take folic acid. Good luck :dust:

Hi all Don't forget people get pregnant every single day and I carnt imagen all them women r takin supplments and charting and everything else that can b done they jus fall pregnant I was tryin for 3 years to a have baby and yes all that stuff worked for me but sadly it ended in a m-c so then I jus cudnt do it any more I stoped takin all that stuff and charting and STOPED STRESSING and wot do u no I now have a wouderfull son. So wot I'm tryin to say is if u jus relax and jus get on wiv it it will happen iv always belived in good things happen wen u don't expect it gud luck to all x

If you're relatively fit and healthy and have a balanced diet, i'd say just folic acid would be fine.

I was like you, just wanted to have :sex: frequently and hope for the best. I did end up getting a little bit too involved, but I never touched and OPK, and I didn't temp. I just had some lovin when I thought the time was probably about right and that was that.
My SIL swears that the pregnancy vitamins made her really sick in 1st tri and going by the fact she had a very healthy diet anyway, we're both wondering if she had a bit of an overload going on!

So yeah, I stuck to folic acid and nothing else and have a healthy 20 month old to show for it.
I'll be doing similar this time round too I reckon. x

Oh and I was so convinced I was out the month I conceived, I had a few drinks the night before AF was due too.
I don't think the odd drink will do any harm really early on. It's not recommended that you get hammered or anything, but a glass of wine here and there should be okay until you have a BFP x

You are doing fine. Take folic acid, try to stop smoking if you are a smoker, no illegal drugs, and don't drink to excess. Discuss any prescription or OTC drugs you take with your doctor or pharmacist. You may want to cut back on caffeine but it's certainly not a must, especially if you're just in the early NTNP stages. It's just not a good idea to have too much caffeine, whether you're TTC or not.

Attitudes to alcohol really differ depending on where you live. I live in the Netherlands and the odd glass of wine is considered to be quite OK. But in some countries I gather they might try to have you arrested :winkwink:

Just so you all know in the uk you can even get folic acid from the £1 shop!!!
Also, someone mentioned about pregnancy vits but not prenatals? I thought they were the same thing??

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->