Do I 'work' 14 hours or 16 hours a week for tax credit application?

shirlls

Reaction score
I have been claiming child tax credits while on mat leave. I go back to work next week, part time at 2 days a week. My parents are looking after LO one day a week and we are putting him in a nursery the other day, so we are paying childcare for 1 day a week. OH doesn't earn a particularly high wage and I am only part time now therefore money is really tight and as you will all no doubt have experience of yourselves, childcare costs even just for one day are extortionate.

I phoned the tax credit helpline this morning to see if we are eligible for any extra for childcare and I was told both OH and I have to be working a minimum of 16 hours each a week to apply. In my 2 days I will be working 9 to 5 but I don't get paid for my one hour lunch break - does anyone know if this would mean I 'work' 14 or 16 hours a week?

The guy I spoke to on the tax credits line gave me an estimate of what we'd get if it was 16 hours I worked. My friend says she thinks it goes by money and not the hours I would be physically at work, however I can't help but hope that I can claim 16 hours a week as that's how long I will be in work a week, and shouldn't the fact that I am on 2 hours LESS pay matter?

You work 14 hours a week hun, I work 24.5 over 4 days which means I work 10-5 with an hour for lunch, technically I'm at work 28 hours but as I have an hour lunch break its only classed as 24. I would have a word with your employer to see if they can increase you by 2 hours as it usually pays well with TC. If you get a copy of your work contract it'll stipulate how many hours you work, maybe you have a nice employer that pays for your lunch break lol which would mean you worked 16 hour weeks.

I wouldn't even consider telling them 14 tbh

If its the difference between claiming tax credits or not, then I would be saying I worked 16 hrs

I wouldn't even consider telling them 14 tbh

If its the difference between claiming tax credits or not, then I would be saying I worked 16 hrs

And this would be fraud which would come up if she was selected for review, I really wouldn't lie about it. It's an automatic £3000 fine on top of paying what you were given. I would call tax credits and see how they see it, if they are happy to class it is 16 hours then you're fine, but if your contract stipulates 14 hours I honestly wouldn't risk it, it may be just 2 hours but it's the difference between being eligible and not and thus committing fraud or not.

I wasn't meaning to deliberately deceive them, of course if its a 14 hour contract then that's what you tell them. I assumed it wasn't a set contract or there wouldn't have been any doubt? In which case I would tell them 16 hours

How many hours does your OH work?

ETA scrap that, they have changed the criteria.

It's hours without lunch included to it would 14 hours. Only way around it is to increase your hours.

As others said, if you're not paid for your lunch hour then it means you're working 14 hours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->