Do Midwives work in hospitals?

Discussion in 'Pregnancy - First Trimester' started by rice.baby, Apr 17, 2009.

1. rice.baby

rice.baby First Trimester!

I would like a midwife but I'd like to deliver in a hospital since I may be considered high risk. I'd prefer the one on one contact.

Is it possible? Also, I'm kind of shy to ask the Dr. about them. Does he have to refer me or do I contact them?
    And does that eliminate me from working with my family doctor (who is seriously creepy anyways)??

2. Pyrrhic

Pyrrhic Well-Known Member

Don't know if its different over there, but here most MWs work in hospitals or birthing centres :)

3. vineyard

vineyard Mom of twin girls!

Usually Certified Nurse midwifes (bachelors and masters degrees in nursing) usually can work in hospitals. However, licensed midwife who just get a certificate in midwifery can not.

4. Seraphim

Seraphim Amazing Baby Girl

When I went to tell my GP I was pregnant they got me to fill in the form for the midwives who run a clinic there. They then arrange to see you at home normally. They try and leave this until 8-12 weeks, mine was at 10.

I spoke to the MW about hospital vs home. I have similar feelings to you about hospital... my MW said she always tries to meet you at home and go with you to the hospital when it's time. Labour can last a while... so staying at home for the very early stages would be nice. And hoping that she can say when is the right time to go in there makes me feel at ease.

HTH

5. lou1979

lou1979 Mummy to 3 beautiful boys

Where i am every midwife is hospital based!

6. rice.baby

rice.baby First Trimester!

Thanks girls!