Do my cycles seem normal?

laura109

Reaction score
Hi ladies. I have had six months of heavy painful periods that leave me drained and feeling pretty rubbish. My cycles average around 24 days and bleeding lasts about 5-6 days. I have been sort of trying for a baby and have only managed to get a positive and bleed a day later which was the beginning of an early mc/chemical.

I went to the doctors a few months back. She gave me iron tablets for anemia. They made me feel awful! So i stopped them. I didn't go back as life is busy and the drs are not easy to get an appointment with. I take spa tone from boots and they do not help when i am on but i think they help out the rest of the month.

Anyway my last period was strange. It was 3 days late. I did not get any bfp tests. So pregnancy did not occur. When i got that forat tinge of blood it took another whole 24 hours to kick in. It then was light for a day before going into 5 days of heavy bleeding. so it was a day longer this month. Since af stopped around 5 days ago my discharge has looked a little tinged. I figured it would stop and was period related but today its a little tinged with pink blood. Everyone i talk to seems to think my heavy periods are normal. I know heavy periods are both normal and common but feeling rubbish with it when i have a toddler is getting me down. I mentioned to my dr that ive been having almost painless pulsing low down on the left side sort of near the middle part of hip above the bikini line. She didnt seem to think that was anything.

I am feeling so fed up of my hormones. I just wandered if theres any vitamins etc i could take to try help my hormones out? I dont really want to go to the drs about my discharge as its so hard to get a shower and get into town with my little one. I am a little awkward with it all and missed my smear last year due to my period arriving and me putting it off.

I just wandered if anyone can help. Thanks x

Im with you with irregular periods etc. Ive had them since DD2 was born and hormones all up the wall. Like you I have issues with my iron and now my b12.

Firstly I know its hard but you should go visit your GP and go for your smear test. Your GP can prescribe you some liquid iron ,tastes disgusting but seems better than the tablet form. . They can also prescribe some tablets called Northestrone( not sure if that's how its spelt) and these should slow/stop the heavy bleeding. They may also prescribe a pain relief tablet.

I get like you, tired and overwhelmed. I think it's just down to the lack of iron in your body.

I have been taking WellWoman its just a multi vitamin . ASDA and Tesco do there own brand too which seems just the same but cheaper.

Hope you feel better soon x

Thats why i get my own bloodwork.. The dr wont do it so i do it on my own.

Vitamin B6 is maybe what you need... It helps regulates hormones.
My cycles were 24 days (I was ovulating early), very heavy (but not painful at all) and I was feeling like a teenager again; struggling to manage them and not wanting to go anywhere for fear of leaking etc. I felt washed out and tired all the time . It wasn't the norm for me as before I had the children my cycles were 30+ days. I did my research and from what I found I decided to try vit B6.
I had been suffering for over a year. Since taking them my cycles have returned to 28 days, my periods are no where near as heavy and my PMT is a lot better. The best bit is that they worked from the very first month of taking them. Took them for 2 months and still having normal cycles 4 months later.

Also, taking ibuprofen helps reduce a heavy flow.

I went to the pharmacy prior to finding out about B6 and bought some ferrous sulphate (iron tablets) over the counter and took those for a couple of months... they really gave me a boost. I did this because of feeling so tired and also I read somewhere that heavy bleeding can cause anemia but also a sign of anemia can be heavy bleeding. I don't know how reliable this information is because I can't remember where I read it. They didn't help with the heavy bleeding for me but as I said they really gave me a boost; I didn't feel so drained all the time and everything wasn't such an effort x
ETA I've just reread your post and seen you've tried iron tablets!

We know our bodies too well, so sometimes its hard to believe what the doc advised us to do.

Agreed with the above! We know our bodies better than anyone, no matter their medical degree :) That said, you should definitely not neglect talking to your doctor as they are there to help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->