Do parents read research on parenting?

GradDad

Reaction score
Hi,
I'm new to the forum, but as a dad and a researcher, who studies parenting, I am curious as to whether or not others read research on parenting and such (e.g., child development, etc.). As someone who is immersed in the literature, I'd love to hear if anyone has read anything valuable lately. Alternatively, if anyone is interested in a topic of research, please let me know and maybe I can point the way to a good source.

I do; I find it really valuable to keep up to date with the latest research in child developement theory, and applying new parenting techniques to our day to day activities. I went on a training course yesterday called 'Here's Looking At You - Baby', and it was highlighting the importance of interacting positively with your baby, and actively engaging them in conversation/turn taking, and how to read their cues. It was really interesting learning about all the different neural circuitry that changes in newborn babies, until 6 months, and how much it effects them as adults.

I think I lost the train of where I was going there, but yes, I read various research.

Sorry to say I don't I'm afraid. I know that some people find it useful, but I find the majority of it too theoretical.

I tend to work from instinct. I do read up on what the milestones are, and when they should be happening broadly so that I can tailor what we do to encourage things that he should be doing at his stage/age, but apart from that, nothing really.

I don't read the research first hand but I do read articles / blogs / books that give advice / opinion that is evidence based. Doing things in an evidence based way is very important to me as there is a lot of rubbish spouted about parenting with very little factual basis behind it.

Same as Mum2b_Claire. I'm very interested in child development, and love research based information. I use a healthy dollop of intuition too, but I don't agree with the idea that mother always knows best. There's always room for improvement!

I agree with Claire and Tacey :)

I don't really. I go on my intuition as others do. I never know if research is biased and subjective.

I don't read most things first hand, I spend more time reading and researching key decision points rather than developmental stages. So things like safety aspects and research of car seats, whether to have jabs, what methods of weaning to use etc. in my mind developmentally my LO will do things as and when they're ready, so not fussed about that side of things, but the side of things that I can do/buy/choose will.

I don't necessarily actively seek out new research but if I'm dealing with an issue that we haven't had before, tantrums for instance, then I'll try to find out different views on how to deal with it.

I tend to read a lot of different information whether it's blogs, magazines, other mums on here and then make up my own mind about what will or will not work in my situation.

I'm a bit of an info junkie, I'll read anything on a topic of interest (i.e. parenting) if someone points me in the direction of where to find it.

I do read some research on parenting, but then tend to go with my own instincts. Andrew has such a range of issues (prematurity, IUGR, unmeasured hearing loss, developmental delay) that I believe it would be difficult to find exactly that combination covered in any one document.

Though OP, if you have anything interesting on neural deafness in babies that would appear to lessen over time (so the hearing improves), can you PM me with some links?

Thanks, everyone, for the wide range of opinions and feedback. As a researcher, I want to produce research that makes sense and applies to parents who could stand to benefit by it. On a personal note, for instance, I am currently conducting an online study on families with children who are 2 or 3 years old. Both of my children have had issues sleeping, and it has caused havoc in our family at times. (I'm recalling the old adage, "when momma's not happy, no one is.") In any case, I included some questions about children's sleep to try to better understand how toddlers' sleep habits affect family functioning. If you are interested in this work, please send me a message.
I am trying to recruit around 200 families for this study which will be the focus of my dissertation in psychology.

I have only read one book on parenting and I really enjoyed it. It is called Nurture Shock. I looked through a what to expect for the year type of book also.

Wow, I'm very impressed by research everyone has done in regards to parenting. One of the reasons that I am asking is because I am a doctoral student in psychology who studies parenting and family functioning. I am currently conducting a survey of family functioning for families with 2 or 3 year old children. I am very interested in how families grow and change over time and how all of the other relationships (marital, parent-child) operate within the larger family structure.
Please feel free to email me if you have any questions about the study. There should be a link to it as soon as it is approved by the BandB administrators. If you are able to participate, I would greatly appreciate your participation! And please feel free to send the link to others who have a 2 or 3 year old child. THANK YOU!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->