Do rescued animals remember?

RubyRainbows

TTC Baby#2 Since Oct/2009
Reaction score
We just adopted a 1 year old cat from an animal rescue. My son named her Starr! :xmas16:

From what I hear, she lived with a couple who let her outside more than they allowed her in the house. Then they broke up, moved, and left her and another cat behind. The two kitties were living outside in the cold. Starr then got pregnant and had a litter of kittens.

When she was brought to the rescue they couldn't find her kittens and they couldn't catch the other cat she lived with/hung out with.

She then spent a few weeks in a cage at the rescue and they said she was very scared of the dogs at the shelter.

Then we came along and adopted her! :kiss:

She now has a warm home where she is cuddled & loved!! xoxo

I am just so surprised that she has adjusted so quickly! I will post a pic of her very first night in our home! She just seems like she doesn't have a care in the world!!

In your opinion - do animals remember? I feel bad that she was neglected and I feel very sad that she was taken away from her kitty friend and from her kittens! :cry:

Thoughts?

Attachments

• 20131212_214711.jpg
    20131212_214711.jpg
    28.9 KB · Views: 32
No idea, I guess they don't have the thought process to actively remember, but if she met the cat she used to live with, she'd probably know. We got out dog when she was around 6 weeks old, and a good few years later my mum saw her brother being loaded into an animal shelter van and went to see him, and when she came home our dog went absolutely nuts, so she could obviously smell him and knew who it was.

No idea....bug i doubt it. But I bet if she does, shes thankful for the good life she has now. :flower:

My rescue kitty was badly attacked by a vicious dog, and she's not scared of dogs, so I don't think she remembers what happened to her in her old life :shrug:

My friends Pomeranian was bit by a neighbor's dog one evening while they were out for a walk (he wasn't injured). It's now 6 months later and he is terrified to go for a walk! He used to love going but now trembles and refuses. She said overall his personality is now more timid. And I've seen rescue dogs get scared or flinch at sudden movements, like they think they are going to be hit. Maybe dogs remember more of their pasts than cats? :shrug:

fantastica - That's sweet that your pup remembered her brother! :)

I honestly don't know how much they remember, but to a certain extend they do.
MIL bought her dog from a local family who couldn't keep the dog (6 month old pup at the time), as it was their sons and he was going off to uni.

When we went to visit him the poor thing cowered the entire time. He settled in just fine and a year later the boy who had gone to university came to visit him (we told them they could come around any time to check on the dog)... as soon as Rex saw him he ran to the kitchen, onto his bed and cowered the entire time refusing to move an inch.

They definitely remember some things.

I think it affects them to a degree.

MIL found my cat when he was a kitten, he was waaaay too young to be away from his mum so she brought him up hand feeding him - he's still sooo babyish, he's an adult cat now but he sleeps spooned up to me every night, cries outside of my room if I shut the door, he still climbs up walls/windows, goes nutssss for toys, chases his tail. Hes in no way grown up bless him :lol: I think he'll always be a baby at heart and he'll always treat me as mummy.

Its lovely you adopted a cat btw, waaay too many are left in homes :( x

My Dog is from a rescue centre 3.5 years ago and although settled in really well you can tell she remembers. She goes mad when tied up or if left in the car even for a few minutes. She shakes when people start shouting and hides under the bed. If she has an accident she cowers away from my oh as though shes scared she will get a beating.
They can get over it but they dont forget.

I think they remember most things! We rescued my dog from his third :)cry:) abusive home when he was 12 months old.

He's still terrified of hoovers/brooms/bottles because they used to hit him with them. The lad that had him also used to play one song over and over again (told by the neighbours) and now, when he hears that song, he howls and cries, bless him.

xxx

It can depend. Just liek humans ever one is different.

They remember more than they let on. They also tend to trust more than they should. At least for dogs....no idea about cats.

We lived in a house for 6 months and then moved. We went back to visit (it was a rental home DH's parents own) about 4 years later, and the dogs remembered the house and backyard very well.

There are plenty of stories about dogs and cats being separated from their previous owners due to a move, disaster, they ran away, etc. And years later are reunited and you can tell they never forgot who their owners were.

My staffy is 18 years old and I have had him for 16 years now. I got him from a rescue when he was 2 and he was the worst case of animal cruelty they'd ever dealt with. He'd been starved and was like a skeleton. For about a year he'd eat chewing gum stuck on the pavement or empty chip wrappers when I was walking him and it drove me mad. The vet said it was because he remembered what it was like to be hungry and could never be quite sure that he'd be given another meal after what he'd been through. In time he stopped doing it and I hope that's because he trusted me enough to know he'd never have to suffer again. I don't think he's ever forgotten his past though as even now after all these years some things worry him. He was left to starve and lost all his hair through mange and was then dumped and he panics if I'm packing bags and hated it when I moved house and I'm sure he is worried he will be left behind.

To a degree, they might but with love and care, they get past it just like people can. I find rescues tend to be even more loyal and affectionate because you're not just their owner, you're their savior.

Probably depends on the animal and degree of abuse. My friend adopted a dog, knew she'd been abused but didn't know how, but the poor thing was TERRIFIED of clapping and a light like a laser or torch, I'm not just saying a little scared I'm talking complete freak out so it was obvious something bad had happened. However, she still lived a lovely life and was happy most of the time so they were obviously just triggers from something that had happened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->