Do September Babies Have an Advantage?

Bucket

Mama to TS (& pg with #2)
Reaction score
Hi girls.

When I asked Hubby why he was so set on trying for a baby in December, he sent me a couple of links, one of which was to this article:
https://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/magazine/8227268.stm

Very interesting, I thought. September babies basically get a whole extra year at home/nursery before starting school.

I'm interested to know what you all think...

Charlee xx

i'm a September baby! ...its my birthday on Sunday :p lol
So, yeah, I obviously believe it's a good time for a baby :) plus both star signs in september are quite nice ones to fall into... Virgo or Libra

oh and i've also read that December has the highest conception rates

Yeah, I read that too. Here's hoping ;) Happy birthday by the way :)

Perhaps, but then all children learn at different rates x

I also heard it is the perfect time to be seen in case you want to become a professional footballer xD

i'm a September baby! ...its my birthday on Sunday :p lolSo, yeah, I obviously believe it's a good time for a baby :) plus both star signs in september are quite nice ones to fall into... Virgo or Libra

I have a September baby and his 1st birthday is 27th September, so this Sunday! :happydance:

Sorry, nothing to do with OP just saw you share birthdays!

Not sure what to think about September babies having an advantage, but sure am gunna enjoy having him at home for the extra time :cloud9:

:hugs:

In the same vein they are also the oldest in their school year and will sit their exams later in life than their counterparts and also be older when they finish school (I was a July baby-very young in my year, my brother an October baby- very old in his).

I actually liked being one of the youngest TBH.

ETA- Sorry if the article mentioned this, no time to read before work!

Well , I live in Scotland and our cut off date for schooling is Feb 28, so my youngest whos birthday is in March didn't go to school umtil he was 5 years and 5 months. However, a friend of mine really thought her LO was ready the year before and she applied to get her in early, so she was 4 years and 5 months.

IMO, Children devlelop at different stages in life and are all individuals and should therefore be treated as such, my son really needed the xtra year, due to having glue-ear and subsequent recurrent ear infections, ENT and hospital appointments and due to prolonged deafness he had speech problems too. He now is primary 3 and doing really well at school, he no longer has ENT or speech therapy, or ear infections or any deafness so it was very good for him to have another nursery year to catch up.
My friend's LO, now in High School (exams this year) likewise, loved school from the off, and has coped very well with the workload despite being the youngest in the class.

Someone else mentioned too, schools aren't so rigid nowadays with most areas individualising each child's learning, so that they can learn at their own speed and don't either get bored waiting for the rest of the class to catch up; or lag behind and get lost along the way.

xx

I think the dtes here are not as strict in the UK though, Like you can have kids that go to school at 5 but also kids that go at 7 because they make an assessment of the child before it gets to be registered for the first year.( I can remember that assessment too)

Lol my ex's birthday is 31st August XD He couldn't drink at the pub with us and all his other friends were 18. Poor thing lol :p
I like being a June baby - I get presents every 6 months XD OH's birthday is in November, so he's a lucky one :)

Someone else mentioned too, schools aren't so rigid nowadays with most areas individualising each child's learning, so that they can learn at their own speed and don't either get bored waiting for the rest of the class to catch up; or lag behind and get lost along the way.

Yeah, this is good news indeed. It's so important for children of all ages to be stimulated at school. Back when I was at school, I spent a lot of time bored because learning was squarely aimed at the "average" child, when clearly such a thing doesn't really exist. I think some schools now are starting to realise that it's not just about how fast different pupils learn, but also what style of learning they have. This attitude is something that will have a huge impact on which schools I choose for my children, when the time comes.

I think it makes a difference. I was born in September (23 today) and did really well in school. Top set at GCSE was 60% children born between September and December and this was even more pronounced in maths. Of course it could have been coincidence.

It will never be a hard and fast rule though, children do learn at different rates, have different talents and skills and are taught things to different degrees at home.

Lol my ex's birthday is 31st August XD He couldn't drink at the pub with us and all his other friends were 18. Poor thing lol :p
I like being a June baby - I get presents every 6 months XD OH's birthday is in November, so he's a lucky one :)

I'm a November baby too and even now, I still get my mother to buy my birthday present early in the year, usually during the summer, so I don't have all my gifts at one end of the year ;) It works out well, because she usually buys me a ticket to go to a music festival. \o/

Ahhh good plan! OH doesn't seem to even notice that he has to wait a whole year for celebrations lol. Bless 'im :p
xx

I heard sept babies are the best, my lo was born in sept, there supposed to have a better learning rate, but then again all kids are different, and yeah dec is the busiest time to concieve as xmas is boring and there is noting on tv, hence why i got pregnant lol xxx

I think it would be cool if other countires had this assessment too wouldnt it?
By the way I read a bit just now and in every state of Germany it is different but the common standard is 6 years for the first year. you can send a child earlier and later in but both types would need the assessment (which is also done with a school psychologist and a doctor)

(by the way my state (schleswig Holstein ) has a june 30 point.

Something new is now that one or two states now want to introduce a collective school starters grade which consist of the year 1 and 2 curriculum but can be finished in either 1 year or 2 or 3 years.

i'm a September baby! ...its my birthday on Sunday :p lol
So, yeah, I obviously believe it's a good time for a baby :) plus both star signs in september are quite nice ones to fall into... Virgo or Libra

I'm a Sept baby and my birthday is Sunday as well!! Yay libras!

Wannabub, my birthday is Feb 28, would've been so different then if I'd been in Scotland!

It's interesting. Byron was born in November and his baby friend born in October. Me and his Mum were chatting about the school cut off (which is rigid here) as we essentially have an extra year with the babies at home without our free nursery places etc. The flipside is that they will be older in school but we'll be struggling financially for longer with childcare etc.

When I went to infants school I could swear that they did two intakes, one in September and one in March for the younger kids. I wonder if any still do that?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->