Do teachers get SMP?

SMP is paid by the goverment if you earn above a certain threshold, if you are a full time teacher you would qualify, i believe that most councils pay additional maternity pay on top of this so you get contractual pay on top of smp.

Unless you were part ime, paid hourly not salaried, and got unlucky with your qualifying weeks you should get smp.

There's enhanced maternity pay for teachers plus SMP, will depend on length of service etc to qualify for the enhanced element.

There's always MA if you don't qualify for SMP - I ended up better off on MA anyways! Though I'm not a teacher!

Anything to tell us Emy? ;) xx

I got SMP as I changed jobs in time just before pregnant. Worked for same place but doing supply and then worked directly for school. If not you get from school. To get you just need to have been paying national inssurence long enough

Oh sorry I was unclear I just meant do they get the basic SMP or a higher maternity pay rate...kind of wishful thinking!

Unfortunately not Lucy, just working out finances! We were gonna TTC but I thought we'd get more than we do money wise and Chris's wage is only £1k a month after tax and rent is like £600 so we're a bit stuck right now.

Oh money is crap isn't it. Maybe next year you will be a bit better off to start? xx

I got SMP as not working for school long enough (I started when pregnant- I got basic rate SMP). If you have been there for certain amount of time you get higher rate as partly paid by school.

Oh money is crap isn't it. Maybe next year you will be a bit better off to start? xx

We'll be well enough off when I work full time in 2 years after graduating but the worry is my wage is higher and I lose almost all of it on SMP (why I was hoping for higher) so I don't see how it will work. Was literally in tears all last night thinking about it! Be alright if/when Chris is on £25k+ but Graphic Designers are paid so poorly that it might take ten years. Dumb finances! Wow sorry for my sob story! :dohh:

:hugs: Don't be sorry! I know you haven't had it easy with jobs. Its especially tough when you feel like now would be a good time, and then money comes around and says no! xx

In our area you get 4 weeks full pay, 2 weeks at 90%, the next 12 weeks at 50% pay +SMP and the rest just SMP.

This means 18 weeks is pretty decent pay then SMP but at this point if you are the higher earner you can go back to work and OH can take parental leave and be paid the same rate as SMP. This is what we are thinking if doing.

In our area you get 4 weeks full pay, 2 weeks at 90%, the next 12 weeks at 50% pay +SMP and the rest just SMP.

This means 18 weeks is pretty decent pay then SMP but at this point if you are the higher earner you can go back to work and OH can take parental leave and be paid the same rate as SMP. This is what we are thinking if doing.

Thank you, this is really helpful! Yeah logically it would be best to do things that way... I just don't want to! I couldn't bear going to work 8-6 every day and not seeing my baby from five days a week from the age of four months. I think I'd rather have an only child than have a child I didn't see grow up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->