• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

do we have the right

I didn't have anything against using the word foreign, (as you can see I used it in a previous post on this thread) but after seeing people's definitions and other views on it I'm starting to see it that way myself.

I had only ever used foreign as they were from a foreign country, not in the "strange" sense of the word - and I know the poster who said this hadn't implied that - but I now kinda see why "foreign" may be seen as slightly racist.

However, having said that, I will probably still use the word as I'm so used to it, and don't use it in the derogatory way iykwim :) xx

I believe in integrating, I think people get singled out when they keep themselves to themselves and are not prepared to fit in with what is known as traditional english culture. I think its fear rather than racism more than anything probably on both parts.
It then becomes a threat when the fear manifests. In your example the immigrants taking benefits. All sides need to be looked at and its not all black and white - no pun intended!
When someone looks / acts really different then no common ground can be met there is nothing to identify with. Name calling I guess I just a display of fear.

I think everyone should be treated equally and then one side will not feel like a minority there is reverse racism in some parts of the country iykwim, how would you know if say for instance an immigrant was shouting abuse at an indiginous brit if it were in a foreign language. TBH its going to be a long time before everyone on this small island can get along in peace, its such a diverse society but theres always going to be a conflict. Cultural wars have been going on for centuries, and you would think in a civilized day and age we would have evoluted to overcome our differences. Perhaps its built in us as human beings to have our territorial qualms though 8-[

I hate racism in any form. I also disagree with 'positive discrimination' because really it's just discrimination against whomever normally gets it all, is it not?

I think we are very ignorant as a country. Wherever we go we always expect the natives to talk our language, be able to communicate with us and follow our customs - otherwise it's rude, selfish, too hard, weird etc.etc.
Yet we also expect them to do all this when they come to our country. Despite the fact we never made the effort with them, so why would they when they come here?

People can dress/speak/believe in what and how they want. It makes no difference to me. I would really love it if Britain became a more accepting mulitcultural state and realised that we cannot expect every other country to adhere to our rules, language and ways and that we need to become more open to theirs. It would make everything so much easier both abroad, and back home.

I'm sure I read it in the news and not here that the new employment laws will allow for the first time for employers to use positive discrimination Shen deciding between two equally qualified prospective employees. I think that's a good thing if it happens. A company has to decide somehow.

I hate rasicm on any level. There is really no need for it. We have so many differant cultures and relgions in this country which I personally think is an asset. We can see and learn about how other people. If we all looked teh same,dressed teh same and talked the smae. How boring would our lives be?

As for them speaking our language I think they would be hard to enforce. But I do think schools need more help with the children who are learning english. For example more teachers assistants taht can speak a differant langauge or who can teake children during english etc to help them learn. The reason I say this is because when I was training to be a nursery nurse. I had a placement in a school. There were 3 teachers assitants and me in teh classroom along with the teacher. The children had a writing activity. It was only a short one. Writing a sentance about the topic of learning. Anyway the school had many polish children enrolled and in the class. And of course they needed help. So I was helping a little girl with her english and making the activity as little simplier. Anyway just before the activity ended teh little girl did it and she was so proud of her self and she got a godl star/ I turned round and a little boy was sat at the desk on his own. I went to look to see what he had done and his paper was blank. When I asked why he said he didn't understand but we were all busy so he just waited. It was play time now and he had learnt nothing. I just wish there was more support for the EAL (english as another language) and the children that can speak english. But that is a whole differant discussion and I have rambled :blush:
xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
irenetta
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"