• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

do we have the right

Well for one thing most of the stories about Christian things being banned are rubbish. That winterval festival story comes out every year and has done for donkeys. A lot of this is basically propaganda from right wing press. If it has happened at all then yes it's utterly ridiculous we are still are majority Christian country by far and practising religion is not a discriminatory act in itself. I could add that for a very long time people have celebrated Xmas which is technically an atheist slant - no Christ see?

When people say we wouldn't move to another country and expect them to change their ways I'm afraid that for most cases I think we do! Look at all the retirement colonies in Spain and the likes! And historically we have converted many countries to both our religion and language!

I also love the diversity of the UK. We have always been a country of diversity, welcoming to people who need refuge and that is something to celebrate and support. The immigration issue seriously bothers me. The people that come to our country are almost entirely those escaping from horrendous situations or those who have much to offer as employees. Welcome to all. And you can have some benefits and a house too if you need it to make your way. I care not. But I would like to see compulsory English lessons for those who cannot speak enough to get by. It can be very problematic for people working in public services, it can lead to misunderstandings with serious implications, but most importantly it often leads to the subjugation of women. I welcome your culture and your religion, your fashion and food but not your prejudice and discrimination. I don't welcome anyone's prejudice and discrimination wherever they're from, UK or elsewhere. I think people need to speak some English in order to be able to integrate and I think some of our libertarian values are our social bedrock and everyone should expect to conform to them.

Big rant I suspect! Hope it makes some sense!

Although I don't agree with their opinions, it's a tricky one as I don't think anyone should have their freedom of speech taken away.

Well for one thing most of the stories about Christian things being banned are rubbish. That winterval festival story comes out every year and has done for donkeys. A lot of this is basically propaganda from right wing press. If it has happened at all then yes it's utterly ridiculous we are still are majority Christian country by far and practising religion is not a discriminatory act in itself. I could add that for a very long time people have celebrated Xmas which is technically an atheist slant - no Christ see?

When people say we wouldn't move to another country and expect them to change their ways I'm afraid that for most cases I think we do! Look at all the retirement colonies in Spain and the likes! And historically we have converted many countries to both our religion and language!

I also love the diversity of the UK. We have always been a country of diversity, welcoming to people who need refuge and that is something to celebrate and support. The immigration issue seriously bothers me. The people that come to our country are almost entirely those escaping from horrendous situations or those who have much to offer as employees. Welcome to all. And you can have some benefits and a house too if you need it to make your way. I care not. But I would like to see compulsory English lessons for those who cannot speak enough to get by. It can be very problematic for people working in public services, it can lead to misunderstandings with serious implications, but most importantly it often leads to the subjugation of women. I welcome your culture and your religion, your fashion and food but not your prejudice and discrimination. I don't welcome anyone's prejudice and discrimination wherever they're from, UK or elsewhere. I think people need to speak some English in order to be able to integrate and I think some of our libertarian values are our social bedrock and everyone should expect to conform to them.

yet again, I 100% agree.

I hate racism on every level. Then again, i also hate positive discrimination.

Illegal immigrants very rarely claim benefits - they have no NI number to do it with and technically don't exist in this country. Also, people that are claiming asylum and waiting on an appeal have it really tough. They are not allowed any money from the government but are not permitted to work either. Must be hard going and no one would put themselves through that unless things were terrible where they fled from. Most asylum seekers or refugees would love to contribute to society but the government stops them so i think name calling is highly unfair.

Personally I love living in such a culturally rich area, i like to learn about others' food, languages and customs. Why should they have to sacrifice all that to live in safety or work hard to earn a living for them and their families?

What I really object to is being called racist for saying 'the black bloke in the red shirt'... as if by describing someone by their colour is something you shouldn't do! I have no problem being called white, the person i'm describing has no problem being described in that way. More often than not it's a nosey do-gooder gone PC mad!

Haha, we have a black SHO at work just now and a nurse was looking for her and i said i didnt know any of them by name yet so she tried to desribe her 'shes tall, dark hair..' :dohh: if she just said 'the black girl' i would have known right away. Its hardly as if describing someone by their race in that manner is racist! PC gone mad.

yeah i agree with you :thumbup:
karl sounds like your OH i mean i dont like it when i walk past and they start talking language :nope: :nope:but i wouldnt dream of saying they have no right to how they want to

name calling i think is unaceptable xxxx

Do you speak spanish in spain to your OH or do you speak English? I dont see how its any different.

I hate racism on every level. Then again, i also hate positive discrimination.

Illegal immigrants very rarely claim benefits - they have no NI number to do it with and technically don't exist in this country. Also, people that are claiming asylum and waiting on an appeal have it really tough. They are not allowed any money from the government but are not permitted to work either. Must be hard going and no one would put themselves through that unless things were terrible where they fled from. Most asylum seekers or refugees would love to contribute to society but the government stops them so i think name calling is highly unfair.

Personally I love living in such a culturally rich area, i like to learn about others' food, languages and customs. Why should they have to sacrifice all that to live in safety or work hard to earn a living for them and their families?

What I really object to is being called racist for saying 'the black bloke in the red shirt'... as if by describing someone by their colour is something you shouldn't do! I have no problem being called white, the person i'm describing has no problem being described in that way. More often than not it's a nosey do-gooder gone PC mad!

Haha, we have a black SHO at work just now and a nurse was looking for her and i said i didnt know any of them by name yet so she tried to desribe her 'shes tall, dark hair..' :dohh: if she just said 'the black girl' i would have known right away. Its hardly as if describing someone by their race in that manner is racist! PC gone mad.

I once read that it will be the end of racism when someone in a room full of white people and one black person describes the black person as 'the man in the yellow tie' not 'the black man'. I think the exact opposite. The end of racism will be when you can describe a person by their colour without fear and to be described by your colour without being offended!

I agree. I don't think its any different to describing by eye colour, hair colour, height etc etc

Yes I forgot to refer to that point and I agree. Perhaps as a white person my view is different, I don't know as I've never been anything but white, but I wouldn't be offended if I was alone with non-white people and was described as the white one. I'd much prefer it to the fatty in the corner or short-staff over there!

PB, i used to go somewhere i was the only white person and was frequently referred to as 'white girl' if they didn't know my name. It was fine and not meant as an insult whatsoever!

the school the kids go to has a few mixed race children and not one of the white kids pick up on it :thumbup: its when you get parents saying things to them about how they are "diffrent" to us that the kids pick up on it

now i dont see them as been diffrent yeah the have a diffrent colour skin but it doesnt make them any less of a person to us we all have the same colour blood and bone structure :thumbup:

robyn is darked skinned and so is karl :thumbup: but karls grandad didnt say where he was born or what country he came from as he was scared of people changing their opinions of him :shrug:
and this is what needs to be stopped no one should be afraid to say where they come from just cos some small minded people take offence to it :growlmad:

what im trying to say is that at the end of the day we are all people,diffrent colour religion,but it doesnt make ANYONE less of a person cos of the background and culture they were brought up in :thumbup:

ok so please no harsh comments :thumbup:

DO WE HAVE THE RIGHT TO CALL PEOPLE NAMES WHEATHER ITS SKIN COLOUR HOW THEY DRESS AND WHERE THEY ARE FROM

I ask only cos i was reading a magazine about a week ago and this family were harrasing another family on the same street just cos they had diffrent colour skin came from a diffrent place and dressed diffrent to us, i am seeing more and more about this :shrug:

now me i dont have a problem with it people have the right to dress in what they want they cant help where they come from either so who are we as a society to attck them :shrug:
now i dont agree with these that come over and live off benefits or are in this country when they are ilegal immigrents :nope:

just wondering as karl seems to think if they live here they should dress and act like us as in talk english and respect our church and beliefs

Give them a generation and they will dress and act "like us" or at least to a HUGE degree. They will definitely speak English by then. As for respecting our church and beliefs, you can't force that on everyone but as long as they're not being vicious or violent or vile then like most people around here (non immigrants as well as immigrants) they have a right to views.

Richard Dawkins doesn't respect the church but he's pretty english.

Also we live in a society which is lucky to be progressive in allowing people to wear what they want. I sometimes go out in my pyjamas to look for my phone which I always drop in the car. :blush: I might get a few smirks but it's no one's business as i'm not breaking any laws for indecency or anything.

I think one of the issues is that people are naturally inclined to feel insecure when others are different from them. It's biological. But I'd be much happier celebrating the differences that are there alongside skin colour in plenty of cases, be they genetic or cultural. Differences aren't a bad thing, they are just a thing.

I hate racism on every level. Personally I see no reason for it. I hate it when people go on about 'foreigners' coming over here and 'stealing our jobs'. The only reason anyone would get a job is if they were better qulaified to do the job! Erk- racism sickens me.

I have an incredibly racist (ex)friend who once said she wasn't racist because she likes garlic naan. I was like o_O.

I hate racism on every level. Personally I see no reason for it. I hate it when people go on about 'foreigners' coming over here and 'stealing our jobs'. The only reason anyone would get a job is if they were better qulaified to do the job! Erk- racism sickens me.

I have an incredibly racist (ex)friend who once said she wasn't racist because she likes garlic naan. I was like o_O.

Drives me mad. It's only ever spouted by people who either have a job and like to jump on the Daily Fail bandwagon without knowing what they're talking about or who don't have one because they haven't tried to get one/haven't got themselves properly qualified/are just not as good! And any very low skilled jobs that immigrants are doing is usually because Brits think they're too good to do them!

I hate the word foreign. It means 'strange' or 'not belonging'. What an awful way to describe someone. And as for stealing our jobs, most of them work jobs people from this country think are beneath them anyway. If it weren't for other nations we wouldn't have as many cleaners/bin men etc. We should be thankful they're willing to do the jobs that others won't.

I hate name calling for racism,colour,crede with a passion

If someone was to cut me up on a round about though for example I would not hesitate to honk the horn and call them a planker with a big fat W.. Weather they were black white or every colour of the rainbow.

EDIT:I do not agree with people calling people foreign either Dopey. It such a misplaced word iykwim. Like the word "half-caste" I HATE that word with a vengeance

I don't mind the word foreign really. It's not said as an offensive word no matter what its literal meaning is (unless it's effing foreigners or something lol). I dont like the term halfcast or coloured either.

It makes perfect sense and I agree 100% :D

I would only add that, as an island nation, we are historically a race of immigrants - from the Vikings to the Romans to the Normans our basic 'Britishness' has been influenced by and 'diluted' for centuries :shrug: In effect their isn't one single person living who is 'pure' British and our entire culture is derived from those of others. Even our Royal Family has been French and German for many centuries for heavens sake :dohh:

The same can be said of the New World Countries - including the US and Oz ... countries built by immigration from all over the world :shrug:

Personally I don't think that, as human beings together, we should criticise anyone else at all - be it for their colour, geographical origin, religion, weight, habits, sexual orientation etc etc .... life is hard enough without actively fostering hostility for other people based on nothing more than pre-conceptions :flower: Like or dislike people based on their individual personalities, sure - but to 'dislike' whole sections of people based purely on blanket generalisations is just wrong and it offends me :flower:

Exactly tattiesmum! If we look at 'British' genes they are from all over the show. We have always been very mixed.

I don't mind the word foreign either. Words don't contain judgement, it's all in how they are used and perceived.

I guess i don't like the word foreign because i've heard it used in a degoratory term by my Dad so many times. If he gets cut up in the car by a black person he'll start having a moan about 'foreigners'. Really makes me cringe!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amama
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->