• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Do you consider Gollywog dolls to be racist?

I just googled them, and just the look of them is racist as hell too me.

The black face, the afro and the smile. I just think that theres no place for a doll like that.
It might be different over seas, but in America, people would FLIP.

but is it just because they are black? I dont really get that... upsy daisy is black from ITNG :shrug:.

My little one loves ITNG as does my niece - she doesn't even notice upsy daisy is black and sees her no different to the other characters she loves.

The black face, the afro and the smile. I just think that theres no place for a doll like that.
It might be different over seas, but in America, people would FLIP.

Would you say a white doll was rascist?

No, it just does not look like a black person...
It has exaggerated features, etc.

I see it as racist too.

I worked with an old British lady before, and we are good friends, anyways, she always called black people that in a derogatory way, so thats why I assume it is. And just looking at it, I feel not right about it.

No i think Gollywogs are cute! I still have my lunch box which has them on and i remember going to a teddy bear museum in Brighton where they had loads! I know in Norfolk they still sell them. Anything can be racist to people these days i guess.

arent they just called Golly's now anyway...

people love to throw the racist card out for anything nowdays...

i think people just love throwing the racist thing about like georgie said .. also am i noticing that most of the people who think they are racist are from outside england.. ? i find that interesting x

I swear when I went to holland, gollywogs are used instead of Santa... At Christmas!!! Someone please correct me if I'm wrong!

I don't see them as rascist at all?

I can well believe that. For example I was in Venice in 2008 and the labels on wine had pictures of Hitler on them and were actively promoting Hitlers name..the rest was in Italian so I dont know what was being said. I was surprised to see it, but then I dont know how Italy feels about such politics.

I'm not sure about Holland though, althought Black Peter is Santa's little helper.

i do agree with the fact that people are too quick to jump to throwing out the racist card these days, but to me golliwogs are racist. like someone said before, the afro, the exaggerated smile etc.

I really do think too much is read into it.. I wonder if it would be the same if it were a white doll!

I don't think it's just because the doll is black- Poppy has a little ragdoll that is black! It's the exaggerated features.

Its not racist- If a doll had typically 'white' features exagerated- It wouldnt be racist :wacko:

xx

I dont think theyr racist at all. They first came out a long time ago and yes the features are a little exxagerated but back then thats probably how they saw black people to look; different. I dont think it was ever in a nasty way. Iv seen chinese looking dolls online that have exxageratted asian features, so how is it any different?:shrug:

what has an afro and exaggerated smile got to do with racism?

xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->