Do you ever worry the name you picked will become popular?

daneuse27

Reaction score
For those of you who chose names that are uncommon - I'm wondering if you are worried that eventually they will become popular?

The name I chose isn't in the top 100 (yet) but it gets more popoular every year.

No, I usually pick a name because it has meaning to me so it doesn't really matter.

We picked something that was in the 70's out of top 100 when she was born, it's now between 20-30... So has shot up, but we picked it because we loved it and it was right for us, not worth worrying about IMO if it becomes number one, one day...it'll only be because we chose a truly awesome name!

Not at all :) We chose a very popular/common boy name - Jack. I truly didn't care if he was one of six jack's in his class at school! He's the only one in our family and we love the name and that's all that matters. Who cares who else has the name?!

We like lily if number 2 is a girl, also a very popular name lol. But very pretty :)

The name ruby soared after we used it but shes still the only ruby at school. Does not bother me.

Not at all :) We chose a very popular/common boy name - Jack. I truly didn't care if he was one of six jack's in his class at school! He's the only one in our family and we love the name and that's all that matters. Who cares who else has the name?!

We like lily if number 2 is a girl, also a very popular name lol. But very pretty :)

didn't you say on the next thread that your nephew is also called Jack (Robert Jack?)

my brothers name is Jack and was supposed to be number 1 for most of his life but hes still the only one I know (other than our grandad who he got his name from and his name was actually John)

I worry about this all the time. I love traditional, old-fashioned names, and when I chose Arthur to be the name of my future son, I was still a very little girl and no one ever used it. Traditional and "old man" names have sprung up all over the place now. Hopefully by the time I DO have Arthur (or IF I do, in this case) in 5 - 10 years time, traditional names would all be forgotten. Suppose there's always Theodore :/

Thanks ladies, I think you have very good attitudes about it :)

I did pick a name that I adored and it meant a lot to me, but I also really loved the fact that it was uncommon. Im certain it'll become more popular over the years, but you're all right - the most important thing was choosing a name with meaning to you.

didn't you say on the next thread that your nephew is also called Jack (Robert Jack?)

my brothers name is Jack and was supposed to be number 1 for most of his life but hes still the only one I know (other than our grandad who he got his name from and his name was actually John)

Yes it is! He's 3 years old. It's OH's brother's son. We checked and they didn't mind at all. They don't really use his middle name in day to day life, he's just Robert. Funny thing is they're also both named after OH's grandpa who was John lol

See I still don't mind it being popular even when his cousin has it as a middle name! In fact I don't ever really think of it :haha:

I dont care if the name I choose is popular or not, I actually prefer them not in the top names even though I am near sure my boys where but have reasons for their names like family. I am sure this next one isnt in the most popular any of the name as my baby has two middle names this time too. If I like the sound of it I do or it comes off the family tree. I dont care if it becomes popular after.

I would be upset to be honest because I purposely tried to pick a name that was not too popular. It's a top 100 but not top 50 name,old English, surname for a name name so I doubt it will and I've never known or met anyone with the name. I think in the UK not many people like using surnames as names so I doubt it will shoot up in popularity.

Yes, I worry. I've had a name picked out for years, and with us not TTC for a year or so yet there's a risk this will happen. Some celebrity or other used it a couple of years ago, which got me really worried, but thankfully nobody seemed to pick it up.

I'd hate it if this happened. The uniqueness is part of the appeal.

I would be upset to be honest because I purposely tried to pick a name that was not too popular. It's a top 100 but not top 50 name,old English, surname for a name name so I doubt it will and I've never known or met anyone with the name. I think in the UK not many people like using surnames as names so I doubt it will shoot up in popularity.

I love surname names, especially if it's something classy with a bit of meaning like the surname of an artist or writer. I met a guy called Dali a few weeks ago. I liked it.

Speaking of using surnames as first ones, I've grown rather fond of Gershwin.

While I would prefer whatever name we choose to stay relatively off the popularity charts...I think I would be ok.

I mean my name was super popular and it really hasn't bothered me, it hasn't hindered me in anyway, it hasn't ever been a problem, and i still like it.

The thing is that names tend to move in cycles. As popular versions of names wear out, people move on to similar-sounding variants, and those start to trend. So you might be able to get some idea of what names are going to trend by looking at what's trending now.

Then again, sometimes names trend for reasons that you just couldn't have ever predicted. The name of a character on a popular show, a celebrity baby name, etc.

As for my own names: somehow, I feel pretty sure that "Harley" and "Constantine" won't be climbing the charts much any time soon. "Constantine" might get a slight bump from The Hunger Games bringing back classical Greco-Roman names, but it's too "weird" and long to ever be popular in Western English-speaking countries, plus it does not lend itself to nicknames well. "Ivy" did jump all the way from 267 to 187 between 2011 and 2012, so it could be starting to trend as an alternative to some popular flora names (Lily, Violet, Jasmine), but I doubt it will break top 100 anytime soon.

Nope, I don't care if there's 5 other callum's tbh, I chose the name because I liked it not because I was worried someone else would have it x

Oh gosh it worries me because it happened once and I KNOW FOR SURE its going to happen again. At least I tell my daughter back then (9) years ago no one had that name so she was first and now all the boys have HER name!! ;) So on B&B I still wont say the names of my daughter and daughter to be JUST in case. LOL

I would prefer that my childs name not really be in the top of all baby names... But I picked the name for our oldest 2 a loooooooong time ago and they are both in the top 100 now I think. LOL But they are not 17 and 21 so they dont care either.

I have tasked my husband with naming this one. I told him to to tell me when he decides.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->