Do you ever worry the name you picked will become popular?

I think I take an the usage of the name, meaning, and how it flows with my surname in equal calculations. But it is nice to be able to call out your child's name on the play ground and only 1 kid (your kid) turns and looks cause there is only one with that name not 3 or 4.

The thing is that names tend to move in cycles. As popular versions of names wear out, people move on to similar-sounding variants, and those start to trend. So you might be able to get some idea of what names are going to trend by looking at what's trending now.

Then again, sometimes names trend for reasons that you just couldn't have ever predicted. The name of a character on a popular show, a celebrity baby name, etc.

As for my own names: somehow, I feel pretty sure that "Harley" and "Constantine" won't be climbing the charts much any time soon. "Constantine" might get a slight bump from The Hunger Games bringing back classical Greco-Roman names, but it's too "weird" and long to ever be popular in Western English-speaking countries, plus it does not lend itself to nicknames well. "Ivy" did jump all the way from 267 to 187 between 2011 and 2012, so it could be starting to trend as an alternative to some popular flora names (Lily, Violet, Jasmine), but I doubt it will break top 100 anytime soon.

I've heard of a few Ivy's on here, but none in person.

Interesting theory. What made me post this was because I saw my daughter's name on this list. https://www.sheknows.com/parenting/articles/994465/hottest-baby-girl-names-of-2013

Its the 50 hottest new names of 2013. They're not necessarily popular, but I think they have the potential of becoming popular.

I don't think Raffy/Rafferty will ever be a popular name. But it's not just the uniqueness of the name that made us choose it, so really it doesn't matter. At the top of our list for boys is Harrison, and girls is Arian(n)a. Both names more popular than Rafferty. But we don't care to be honest. Our children will be individuals, even if their names are not.

I would like to choose different names at the time and hope that there will not be any others in their class, but if the name increases in popularity in the years afterwards I don't mind. I have 3 children called Morgan (boy) Bailey (boy) and Briar (girl) and the boys names we do hear around, but have not heard my daughters name yet.

I think we are seen as odd with family as they all go for more traditional names. x

The names we picked are fairly common in the UK but they're not here. I don't worry about them becoming popular. A name is a name and I don't car whether plenty of people have it or nobody does, as long as its right for your child.

I don't think Raffy/Rafferty will ever be a popular name. But it's not just the uniqueness of the name that made us choose it, so really it doesn't matter. At the top of our list for boys is Harrison, and girls is Arian(n)a. Both names more popular than Rafferty. But we don't care to be honest. Our children will be individuals, even if their names are not.

That's not dissimilar to my LO's name - Rafe. I don't think it's going to become super-popular either (mostly because every time I say it to someone, they repeat it (or something similar) in a quizzical tone to make sure they heard right. :rofl:

Daneuse, that's an interesting list. I've gotta admit I've seen almost all those names here on B&B since I joined, but rarely before, so they do seem to be trending.

One thing about this forum is that people from all around the world are here, so you hear of names that are HUGE in the US for example, and because you hear them a lot in the forum you start to think they're massively popular everywhere, when that might not be the case. Like the name Neveah for example; you'd be forgiven for thinking it was in the top ten from looking at this forum, but I'm yet to hear of the name outside of here :)

I was talking to a friend in the US last week about names we were considering, and she said Skye was really popular where she lived; she even said it was overused, but I've only ever met one Skye, so it's not something I'd ever consider as being popular. And in contrast the name Jake is quite popular amongst my friends' kids, but she hadn't met any over there.

i like different names so I'd quite like of they didn't become over popular. In saying that though it isn't the end of the world if they did... Not quite sure how popular my kids names could get though...

Thats a good point to an extent Lara. The name Imogen is probably very unpopular where I live, but I've seen it several times on this forum.

However I've looked at top 10 names by country, and they seem very similar throughout the English speaking world.

I dont fully trust those most popular name lists though

my sons names are Cain and Jake

Cain isnt even top 1000 on popular names apparently and yet ive met 5 (all different spellings though)

Jake is 23rd apparently and I only know of one other

Thats a good point to an extent Lara. The name Imogen is probably very unpopular where I live, but I've seen it several times on this forum.

However I've looked at top 10 names by country, and they seem very similar throughout the English speaking world.
I have four friends called Imogen or Imogene so it's definitely popular here!

Yes and no. I know the name I'm planning for a daughter will likely never be popular, so I'm not worried. I don't want it to be popular. My boy name is very popular but he will be a third, so not much choice.

Yes and no. I know the name I'm planning for a daughter will likely never be popular, so I'm not worried. I don't want it to be popular. My boy name is very popular but he will be a third, so not much choice.

Yes!! My son's name is Cameron, which luckily has never grown overly popular but is liked by everyone. Unfortunately, I named my fourteen and thirteen-year-old daughters Olivia and Isabelle. Now, I did not have the internet at the time and did not have the benefit of using a baby name book. I just loved the names, but unfortunately, soon everyone else would too, and now, my daughters have two of the five most popular names in America. SUCKS. Then, I had another daughter almost six years ago and thought to myself: I'm going to give her something unique, so I named her Willow. Apparently, not unique enough as she ran into another Willow in her daycare class! I couldn't believe it! Soooo...I had one more daughter. Her name? Talulah.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->