Do you get free nhs precriptions/dental treatment if you receive tax credits?

BellaBoo0512

Reaction score
I had my LO last year and thought id get my teeth sorted out why I got free dental treatment. I went to the dentist and was told I needed 3 fillings (hadn't been to the dentist for about 7 years prior to this because I have a fear of the dentist). I went for my fillings and then started experiencing a lot of pain in one tooth I'd had filled and all of my teeth are now really sensitive. I've been to the dentist 3 times since and she said there is nothing there to cause the pain and it's phantom pain and to use sensitive toothpaste.

Today I'm in absolute agony again, I've had really strong painkillers and put some orajel on my sore tooth but I'm still in a lot of pain.

My LO turns 1 on Friday which means I will no longer have my maternity exemption certificate.

Does anyone know if I will get free dental treatment due to my income? OH earns £13,500 a year and we get child tax credit and working tax credit. I'm seeking work but don't claim any benefits.

I've looked online and it says that if you claim tax credits and earn less than £15,000 a year you will get an exception voucher automatically but I've not had anything :shrug:

Think you have to fill out s form. Phone the benefits and ask for a prescription exemption form. Any work the fentist has started or scheduled can still be done free I think

I do. I got a card in the post with my name on that I give in after my treatment, although this took a while to come through. Call tax credits and ask why you haven't been sent your entitlement card yet :)

Okay thanks ladies :) what annoys me most is that the dentist has actually made my teeth like this.. They were okay till I went for the the fillings grr! X

I automatically got mine through the post, didn't have to fill any forms in. I also have a couple of sensitive teeth since having fillings and have to use sensodyne now xx

mines automatically came in the post too, as did DH's

Hmm I wander why mine didn't come automatically.. Did it come with your award notification or did it come separately? X

Okay thanks ladies :) what annoys me most is that the dentist has actually made my teeth like this.. They were okay till I went for the the fillings grr! X

Careful on statements like this. Its very common that in cases where people havent been to the dentist in years, have decay that needs treated, that the decay ends up being deeper than expected. Its easy to blame the Dr's for everything but not always accurate.

Careful on statements like this. Its very common that in cases where people havent been to the dentist in years, have decay that needs treated, that the decay ends up being deeper than expected. Its easy to blame the Dr's for everything but not always accurate.

That makes sense I suppose but I've been 3 times with pain since the filling and I just keep getting told it is phantom pain :shrug:

That makes sense I suppose but I've been 3 times with pain since the filling and I just keep getting told it is phantom pain :shrug:

Im sorry, thats must be beyond frustrating! And tooth pain is awful.... Is it just random pain, or does something set it off, like eating hot or cold, chewing, etc? How long has it been since the fillings?

Nothing in particular starts it off. I had the fillings in June last year. My dentist has done an X-ray and there's nothing showing on that x

I've just checked my tax credit notification and it doesn't mention anything about an exemption certificate. Our 2012-2013 income was about £23,000 and 2013-2014 drops to about £14,500 so maybe that's why they haven't sent one? Soo confused but really need this tooth sorting :(

Also might be because you're still exempt for maternity atm.

I don't know for sure. Perhaps give them a call tomorrow x

I worked in the department that dealt with tax credit cards. The NHS send them out based on info on eligibility sent by tax credits office. If you were entitled to a card u would be sent one regardless of any other exemption card u may have. Call 0300 330 1347, they can tell you if you will be sent one. Hope this helps! Let me know if u need any more info. X

I can totally sympathise! I had my first and only filling done about a year ago. It was very sensitive for the first few weeks which I just assumed was normal, but it never got better. It is agony to eat or drink anything cold (even just water from the tap) and the tooth directly below the filling is also sensitive. I haven't been back to the dentist though and it's put me off ever having any more fillings. If I needed one on the other side of my mouth it would make drinking impossible!

I do have an NHS exemption card but last time I went, that wasn't one of the categories I could tick on the form. They gave me free treatment anyway because it was an emergency and my dentist is lovely, but I'm now confused about whether an exemption card is enough.

I had maternity and tax credits exemption cards at the same time xx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->