• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Do you intend to use cotton wool or wipes for babys bottom?

LaDY

Mummy Of Two xx
Reaction score
So which one is it? With my son I used cotton wool...with this one im thinking of doing the same...

what are your plans? x

Tbh wipes cause im lazy, I will have cotton wool too but mostly wipes!

I can't stand cotton wool so I'll be using wipes from the start. If it turns out that baby's bum is sensitive I'll swap to cotton wool then.

Wipes. Most changes will be downstairs, on a mat on the floor. Even changes upstairs will be on a floor mat. And I have 2 little children running around. So cotton wool balls in a bowl of water isn't practical. I might make up some of my own wipes as I do have a box with lid on.

I don't always use wipes for pee anyway. Babies have very dilute pee, so there's not really a point.

I'm assuming cotton wool is a cloth? I don't want to use disposable stuff as much as I can get away with so some sort of soft washcloth. I intend to do most changes in the washroom next to the cloth diaper soak bucket.

The midwife recommended using cotton wool until the meconium has gone so I'll be attempting that. I might switch to wipes earlier if the cotton wool is too much effort though.

The hospital only had gauze and water and it was awful! I had my mom bring some wipes. The merconium just does NOT come off with water alone without nearly rubbing their poor bottoms raw. The wipes took it off much easier. I'll be packing some in our hospital bag in case the hospital has that garbage again.

I'm assuming cotton wool is a cloth? I don't want to use disposable stuff as much as I can get away with so some sort of soft washcloth. I intend to do most changes in the washroom next to the cloth diaper soak bucket.

Lol, cute! Its a fluffy white disposable, absorbent fluff that you wet, use for cleaning and then flush, or bin.

https://www.safetyfirstaid.co.uk/images/catalogue/product/DW0024-M.jpg

cotton wool to start with - I have got a stock of wipes for later on

Im doing the same as last time, cotton wool to start with then move onto wipes later on xx

Wipes!!!! Cotton wool is a nightmare. Luckily both of mine have good skin so never a problem

I was always told to use cotton wool and water for the first 4 weeks which I did with Ds1, we started out doing this with ds2 but then my hubby who is the resident nappy changer when around seeing as I have to be the feeder went away for work for 5 days last week and I was using wipes by the very first nappy change lol when he was 2 weeks old. He's not reacted to it though. He has dry skin elsewhere which I use olive oil for but everything else is fine :)

Wipes. I was told to use cotton wool last time, 1. It was useless and 2. They didn't provide me with any water in hospital and I didn't want to leave my baby to get some so I'm glad I took wipes too x

I used cotton wool for the first week or two and will again.

I´ve got bamboo cloth wipes that i used with water. If it was very dirty then I would use a wet wipe and then the cloth to get any soap off.

I'd never even heard of using cotton wool until coming on this site. Is that a UK thing? I'm in the US and everyone I know just uses wipes. I've never known a baby too have an adverse reaction to them so I'll just be using those. Seems like a lot less fuss than the wool.

Cotton wool for when he/she is a teeny tiny baby. Will start to use wipes (& other things like baby bath) when I feel like his/hers skin isnt so sensitive.. :)

I'd never even heard of using cotton wool until coming on this site. Is that a UK thing? I'm in the US and everyone I know just uses wipes. I've never known a baby too have an adverse reaction to them so I'll just be using those. Seems like a lot less fuss than the wool.

Yeah I guess it is, I haven't read/heard anything this time around but Im pretty sure first time I was told by a HV to avoid anything such as wipes, lotions, bubble baths etc until 4 weeks and to stick with cotton wool and water for nappy changes, plain baths and just olive oil for dry skin/cradle cap etc.

It's just a UK thing...here everyone just uses wipes from the start. I've never heard of kids reacting to them as newborns that didn't have sensitive skin in general (and later on). They make a lot of hypo-allergenic, natural, fragrance-free ones, so it shouldn't be a problem.

I am using cloth diapers, so we went with reusable cloth wipes. My mom had a ton of leftover flannel from these wonderful quilts she makes. She made me a ton of them, plus I made some too. Easy and extremely economical. I know moms that use them even with disposable diapers.

I've never heard of cotton wool for wiping either. I think we'll probably mostly use regular wipes, but I'd like to use some home made cloth wipes as well - perhaps cloth at home when it's just pee, disposable wipes otherwise!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->