Do You Intervene?

Lightworker

Reaction score
Hi!
Was inspired by a segment on TV today about people intervening when another person is in some sort of danger.

I was wondering, do you intervene in such situations?

SCENARIO 1:

A parent is yelling very aggresively at their child in the supermarket. The child is clearly afraid, and the parent is making all sorts of threats (you know...the wait till you get home kind).

SCENARIO 2:

A person (a stranger) is being attacked (no weapons visible) by another person. They are physically wrestling, and the aggressor is overpowering the seemingly innocent person.

SCENARIO 3:

A group of "youths" are attacking another "youth", they have hoodies on etc.

So, my question is, have you ever been in any of these situations? What have you done? Did you intervene? Run off? Do you feel that the way society is today we are less inclined to stand up for others?

For me, in scenario 1, I would be inclined to say something. I am generally a coward when it comes to situations which could be potentially turn physically violent but if it was a child, I would like to think I would.

In scenario 2, I have intervened as it was two ladies but I didn't physically get involved, just more of "hey! thats enough now"

Scenario 3, I just wouldn't. I'd be too scared, I'd probably walk off rapidly, whilst trying to dial 999.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on intervening?

x

I don't think I would intereven in scenario 1... mostly because I don't think it would do any good and might make it worse for the kid when they get home.

The other two scenarios I would call the cops.

Oh wait.. I have been involved in scenario similar to 2 before, but it was my friend, lol... he got into a fight with a guy over a parking space (the guy's wife said EFF you to my friend, so my friend said EFF you back, and the guy took offense to this, lol). The guy tried to head-butt him, so my friend put him in a headlock. The guy kept trying to break free/hit my friend, but my friend held him there and made him apologize and promise not to keep fighting :Rofl:

No to 1, yes to both 2 and 3.

1. I wouldn't say anything but id make ity known that I saw and didnt approv by looking at them and tutting wouldnt go and fully get involved though

2 & 3 keep an eye on things from a distance and call the police I'm not a 'have a go hero' type of person :blush:

I do believe people are disinclined to intervene. What actually happened to Kitty Genovese in terms of bystander involvement is up to debate, but the research prompted by the sensationalist headlines is very interesting. In scenario's 2 and 3 I would be too worried about my physical safety to intervene alone. I would call the police or find help. In terms of danger where I know I won't be hurt I will intervene. I crossed the street to pick up a toddler who'd run into the middle of our busy street to get a ball and stood there. As soon as I carried him safetly back across the street looking for a parent his mother came barreling out of her house screaming about child abduction. Yeah lady if you were that concerned the tot wouldn't be running around an apartment parking lot adjourning a street where an accident occurs once a month.. I do think that fear of situations like that keep people from intervening when they notice a child in distress who is putting themselves in danger or lost.

SCENARIO 1:

A parent is yelling very aggresively at their child in the supermarket. The child is clearly afraid, and the parent is making all sorts of threats (you know...the wait till you get home kind).

As a member of staff in a retail environment, I have in the past tried to diffuse situations. As a member of the public I havent.

SCENARIO 2:

A person (a stranger) is being attacked (no weapons visible) by another person. They are physically wrestling, and the aggressor is overpowering the seemingly innocent person.

I would maybe shout something like 'hey get off him or Ill phone the police from a reasonable distance and ring the police. In the North East men do normally try to separate fights.

SCENARIO 3:

A group of "youths" are attacking another "youth", they have hoodies on etc.

I would do the same as above mybe more closely than with the adults, depending on thier size, if they were smaller than me (im only 5'3) I would maybe try and separate them. If I was without Lo and not totally alone. I would definitively say something though.

So, my question is, have you ever been in any of these situations? What have you done? Did you intervene? Run off? Do you feel that the way society is today we are less inclined to stand up for others?

I was in a situation in retail where a woman was slapped very hard by a man in a argument. I grabbed her and told him I was calling security/police.

I was in a club and someone was touching up a extremely drunk woman on the dance floor, think 3rd base, she was obviously out of it. I reported him to the bouncers and he was chucked out and she was put in a taxi.

Anyway, what are your thoughts on intervening?
I open my mouth a lot! Ive never physically stood between a punch and a victim and wouldnt. I do try to look out for people though in general. I do have my limits though, I would never put myself in physical danger.
Im always the one to go to the crying child when they havent got their parents nearby, be they lost of the parent too busy doing something else.

I HATE it when everyone just looks waiting for someone else to do something. Just do something or move on! So yeah thats me, the doer!

i couldnt just walk past someone getting the living kicked out of them :( It only takes a few kicks to the head before someone is dead.

Oooooooooooo i like this thread :thumbup:

scenario 1: :nope: i wouldnt. I don't think it would help the situation and possibly make it worse for the child.

scenario 2: yes i can't bear to see someone getting hurt and have intervened
plenty of times before.

scenario 3: yes i cant bear seeing someone ganged up on, and have come across this scenario a few times before and have intervened.

With cases 2 & 3 i cant help myself, my husband insists i need to stop doing this and in all honesty since having my girls i do think more about my safety.

My thoughts on intervening are:

To do what you feel comfortable doing but i think in scenario 2 & 3 people should at least call the police.

No to 1 but yes to 2 and 3.

Last year I saw a hit and run happen (obviously a planned one!) and I went to help the knocked over. The car actually came back and told me to fuck off or they would run me over too! TBH, Didn't really pay attention to the threat was to busy trying to keep the person talking to me and calm. I phoned 999 and they told me what to do on the phone till the police and ambulance came. It was quite late so a bit scary but I didnt think about what to do. I acted on impulse.

I think like someone above said I'd be afraid of the mother having a go at me instead so if I saw a lost child id keep an eye out and see if i could see the mother looking for their child or tell security but I wouldnt pick them up or take them anywhere.

Ive had a couple of altercations kick off outside my house so I tend to keep an eye out from my window and call the police if it looks nasty (usually its just a bit of a slanging match though really).

As for intervening I think the lack of community spirit is partly to blame if you say something the first resoponse is usually 'who asked you' or ;mind your own business' etc which is weird considering were such a gossip obsessed culture

Yes I would get involved in all three:nope: One time this lady was parked in her car and she was hitting , smacking her kid, i would say he was about 9 or 10. :cry: I flipped out and started screaming at her and went for her car door and she took off, that was a couple of years ago and you know I still watch out to see if I ever see her, I probably would have been arrested if I had gotten to her, she was smacking him so hard :cry::cry: my reaction as a mom was to just grab her and i know myself I would have slapped her . I think if more people do get involved things may be a bit better.
JMO :flower::flower:

When I see a parents getting alittle frustrated, I let them know they are not alone, My kids does the same thing and smile. I hope that'll calm them down. With any violences, I call the police.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->