Do you let your baby comfort suck?

9jawife

Mom of one
Reaction score
There seems to be some disagreement about this. When my son is fussy I find that sometimes the only thing that works is to give him breast. He's had a very strong suck since birth though, so I think sometimes when he intends to just 'comfort suck' he draws out milk anyway. I know because he will fall asleep with milk in his mouth which makes me think he was not really hungry. Is there anything wrong with letting your baby suck when he's not hungry?

I let LO, as he doesn't use a dummy. But we are kind of stuck now as he won't sleep without boob so I can't leave him, so in that aspect I wish I had stopped him sooner. But overall, I don't think it does any harm, LO is happy so I'm happy :)

I have always allowed my LO to comfort suck. It's incredibly comforting to her and helps her to drift off to sleep and get back to sleep in the night. I know it won't last forever so I'm happy for her to continue until she's ready to not need to comfort suck anymore :)

Sometimes, if my boob is getting sore then I unlatch her.

Usually she unlatches herself after about 10 minutes of comfort sucking anyway :)

I let my 9 week old little girl comfort suck! It's only for like 5-10 mins so can't see any harm! X

It's totally normal, doesn't hurt anything and is good for your supply :)

Absolutely! Breastfeeding is SO much more than food. :)

I would LOVE to let me daughter comfort suck but if she's not wanting food she hates getting milk into her mouth so I need to use a dummy. She pops on, off, on, off, and it's ot comforting for her or me!

If she could learn to suck without drawing milk then she'd sooth on me but until then, we have a dummy.

I have always let me daughter comfort suck! Definitely nothing wrong with it, she can sometimes do it for half an hour or longer. Sometimes I have to unlatch her once she has drifted off to sleep, other times I use it as a great excuse to put my feet up and have a cuddle with my baby :)

Absolutely. I am grateful I can give her the comfort she needs. I know lots of people frown at it, but I refuse to deny my baby something that she needs if I can provide it.

I do, but I unlatch him if he falls asleep (he usually starts to bite down as he falls asleep and he has 8 teeth). I don't think there's anything wrong with it. He uses a dummy/pacifier too though after I make sure he's well fed. He only accepts the dummy if he's very tired and not hungry.

I let my daughter comfort suck and when she got older she stopped. Now she will only do it if shes sick and unable to sleep.

Absolutely I did...first thing zi offered. It truly is a 'fix all'

I agree, boobs are a fix all. Comfort sucking is important.

You often hear the expression "using the boob as a dummy", but as boobs came before dummies, it must be the other way around. Giving a dummy is actually 'using the dummy as a boob'. :haha:

I did. I also agree with boobs being able to fix everything :L
Was great, if she was crying and didn't need changing I always offered if and 99% of the time it would fix it. Whether she was tired, hungry, thirsty, hurt herself, needed a cuddle etc.
I did unlatch her if she was asleep but she would wake up a lot of the time so just let her comfort suck, nothing wrong with it imo, it's more than just food.

I do. I love the fact she can comfort herself so quickly from it. Nothing wrong with it in my opinion. If it makes my baby happy then why not :D

Basic rule of mothering: If cry hole is open and noisy, insert boob. :rofl:

comfort sucking is normal :)

DS has done it from the very beginning and he's 4 now. he usually comfort sucks more at night now, but sometimes after a dr appt or after something stressful has happened he will nurse and comfort suck well after my milk has stopped flowing :)

oh and i agree the boobs fix everything. sometimes my boobs get random hugs and motorboats "just because i love them, mama" :D

oh and i agree the boobs fix everything. sometimes my boobs get random hugs and motorboats "just because i love them, mama" :D

That's so cute! Well done on breastfeeding for so long! :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->