Do you look forward to death?

N

nomadlife

I am asking for those of any faith about their thoughts on afterlife. Life on earth is a very short 70/80 years in comparison to eternity in heaven (or wherever you believe afterlife to be). I am assuming that you expect to see your dead loved ones when you die, so do you look forward to death in a way?

I dont mean this in a morbid way, more of a logical way. If heaven is awesome, why wouldn't you want to go kind of thing :)

Disclaimer - I am atheist/agnostic I am just interested in religion

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong place...

I believe we are designed to live longer than 70-80 yrs, more like 120 years. I don't look forward to death as such, but I do know that it means its the next step in my spiritual learning if you know what I mean. I came to earth so my soul could learn some lessons, if I fail at learning them, I will just come right back, however, if I succeed, I will continue to the next stage. Yes I do believe that I will meet my loved ones.
I do enjoy being on earth and feel i still have loads to accomplish which is why I don't look forward to death, but I know that when I am ready, I will be looking forward to it.

]I believe we are designed to live longer than 70-80 yrs, more like 120 years.[/B] I don't look forward to death as such, but I do know that it means its the next step in my spiritual learning if you know what I mean. I came to earth so my soul could learn some lessons, if I fail at learning them, I will just come right back, however, if I succeed, I will continue to the next stage. Yes I do believe that I will meet my loved ones.
I do enjoy being on earth and feel i still have loads to accomplish which is why I don't look forward to death, but I know that when I am ready, I will be looking forward to it.

Why so?

People rarely make it past 100 now and that's with all the advances in medicine & science etc. If we need to advance in medicine to prolong life how can we be designed to live longer than the average life expectancy?

Not trying to challenge your thoughts here, just wondering where your belief comes from etc.

I am athiest so my point is irrelevant but no, currently I do not look forward to death. I'd imagine that if I were to suffer a debilitating illness as I grew older that my opinion might change xx

Kitty- I cannot remember where I was reading this, but they'd carried out some studies showing that our bodies are designed to live for 120 years. Obviously with all the detrimental factors we expose our bodies to (eg smoking, diet, stress, lack of exercise, emotional problems, etc) this figure is greatly reduced. I think the study was basically saying, if you allow your body to function at optimum, and ensure you minimize any of these, then 120 is what it can get to, iykwim? I jumped onto that theory mainly because I do want to live to be that old lol but also because I need that much time to achieve what I believe I came here to.
My husband is not an atheist as such but he believes when you die, its the end. There's no more you, is that in line with atheism?

It must be lovely to look forward to something truly believed to happen after death. I can't believe it though, just doesn't work for me.

I have always wondered why those who do believe in heaven or other paradises of afterlife, why is death still considered a sad thing? As in, if your beliefs say that the person is going to a wonderful place why is it not a happy occasion? Serious question btw :flower:

I'm not scared or upset at the thought of my death. For my children's sake I hope it won't be too soon, but I know that I am ready to die. I've never found death and funerals of Christians very upsetting because although I miss those people, I know that I will see them again one day. I did recently have an unbelieving relative die though, and the grief and despair surrounding that was terrible in comparison.

i wouldnt say im looking forward to death, as a Christain i dont worry about it though, ive prepared myself for the fact i cant live on this earth forever so reconciled to the fact i will leave it, I am busy making the most of the life that I have been blessed with

I like to believe in an afterlife, I am Catholic by the way. However, I have my faith but I am a bit unsure if I believe it totally or it is just something that has been drummed into me during school (Catholic) and church?

Saying this death absolutley terrifies me at this moment in time, more because I have 2 small children dependant on me and to leave them behind at this young age absolutley scares the shit out of me!!

Whether my opinion on death will change as I get older and have achieved more in my life I am not sure, but for now it is my ultimate fear.

I think a lot of my fear comes from the fact that I lost my dad suddenley nearly 4 years ago at the age of 43, it was not until then that I truely understood the term 'broken hearted'.

Tallyb- thats it exactly- we shouldnt be sad because they are going to a place where they will be looked after. I generally feel like I will miss the person. I also think, did his angels take him alright, I hope he wasnt afraid, I hope he is enjoying himself. (Admittedly, it is easy for me to say this as I havnt directly lost someone and the he in this example is Michael Jackson.) Thats my thought process. The only exception for me is suicide. I think suiciders worry me more.

I was just about to say that this is such a morbid topic, but I reconsidered because I think I was socially conditioned to feel that way but from my perspective, death should not be viewed as morbid if indeed we are going to better things. I do believe though that we are all in for some lovely suprises. I can just imagine the dis belief on some peoples faces lol.

I don't mind either way but I don't really believe in an afterlife as such. I just think that when I die thats it :/ it is comforting to think of people looking over me (like my grandad or friends) but actually I can't see when I die that I'll go anywhere or see anything.

Im not religious & I dont really like religion at all, but I do think that beliefs in the afterlife are one of the positives of having a faith.

xxx

Do I look forward to death? No, but hopefully I go in a pleasant way. Do I look forward to life after death? Yes! Heaven, here I come!!!

i wouldnt say im looking forward to death, as a Christain i dont worry about it though, ive prepared myself for the fact i cant live on this earth forever so reconciled to the fact i will leave it, I am busy making the most of the life that I have been blessed with

Exactly this! I also believe that there is much, much more waiting for us that this relatively short life on earth.

My nanna passed away nearly a month ago :cry: and though ive known people who have died, her death is the first one I've experienced that has really been a 'loss' to me personally iykwim? I miss her so much and her death has left a huge whole in our hearts. I do look forward to seeing her again

Before i got with o/h/started a family/had LO i looked forward to it, i was suicidal anyway. Now i have a nice life, so no i can definitley say i do NOT look forward to it at all.

It must be lovely to look forward to something truly believed to happen after death. I can't believe it though, just doesn't work for me.

I have always wondered why those who do believe in heaven or other paradises of afterlife, why is death still considered a sad thing? As in, if your beliefs say that the person is going to a wonderful place why is it not a happy occasion? Serious question btw :flower:

I think people feel both happy and sad at the same time, but the sad comes out more because of the tears that are shed. I think there is some saddness involved because all of us who are still here won't be able to see and enjoy them until our tiime comes. This is just how I see it and I have strong religious faith.

I can't really say that I look forward to death. But I do look forward to going to heaven, meeting Jesus, and seeing family again that have passed before me. I have have done things as right as I possibly can up to this point in my life and continue to do so, so I have nothing to fear or regret when I do pass. If that makes any sense.

No. When I die, I'm gone :shrug: Plus, I don't want to leave my babies.

I don't think I would ever use the words look forward, but because I am a religious person I believe that we have a life in this world and one in the next. It funny that you all mentioned this life expectancy thing, I am an orthodox Jew and the way we say happy birthday is
" may you have a happy birthday, up to 120 years" even the kids have a rhyme about it after the usual happy birthday song they say " may you merit another year, up to 120 years" it rhymes in Hebrew lol

Haha-I knew it- the figure 120 wasnt just randomly arrived at lol. X

Sorry I kind of posted and ran, I have been away and just got back :)

Really interesting thoughts. Do any of you believers imagine yourself in the version of afterlife you believe in?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->