Do you stay in or give workmen a key?

AngelofTroy

Reaction score
We've had quite a lot of work done on our property recently and decorators were in for a week at one point. I thought nothing of giving them a key so that DS and I could get on with our lives, in fact we spent 90% of the time at my parents or in laws. Tomorrow we are having a Plumber come in to re-tile our shower and fit a new door on it. It's going to take a few days. My husband is reluctant to give them a key as he's uncomfortable with it. He is worried someone could easily copy it if they wanted to. He thinks I should stay in when workmen are here.

I just wondered what others do? DS has swimming and gymnastics tomorrow, both prepaid classes and the Plumber will probably finish for the day while we are still out. Im reluctant to miss the classes but maybe I am being irresponsible. Am I?

If they are a complete stranger to you I would stay in. I've never given a workman a key but I can see why you'd want to when they're there all week.

We had a painter in recently to do the whole house and it took 3 weeks, both me and hubby needed to continue going to work so we left a key asking him to lock the front door behind him and post the key back through the letter box. We had no problems.

I stay in. I used to work property claims, and I handled many from where contractors/workers nicked things from the house.

I stay in, I would feel too uneasy to leave a key while I was out.

If it was a job that was only going to take a couple of hours or half a day, then I'd probably work it to just stay in. If it's going to be an all day thing that's going on for a few days then I'd struggle to stay in all day as the dogs would need walking and lo has stuff on.

We actually went on holiday and left the builder a key to do the work while we were away. Saying that though, most workmen I use are friends of friends/family or have been recommended. I'm not sure I'd want to leave somebody that I knew nothing about.

Could you ask a friend or family member to come round while you went to the classes? Sometimes my dads done this when I've needed somebody to be there.

I stay in. Although I've used my decorator enough times that I'm now comfortable leaving him alone in the house briefly if I need to go out.

I'd stay in for that. We had builders last year and decorators this year, both were given keys as both times I stayed miles away at my mum's with the boys and OH was out at work (often works from home, too). Out wonderful neighbour also checked up and ensured the doors were safely locked but the workmen were really good. We had also used the decorators for a previous job when we first moved in so I knew I could trust them. If it was just a day's work I wouldn't leave them in the house if I could be there, no.

I'd stay in for that. We had builders last year and decorators this year, both were given keys as both times I stayed miles away at my mum's with the boys and OH was out at work (often works from home, too). Out wonderful neighbour also checked up and ensured the doors were safely locked but the workmen were really good. We had also used the decorators for a previous job when we first moved in so I knew I could trust them. If it was just a day's work I wouldn't leave them in the house if I could be there, no.

Thanks, I think it's several days work though.

Ok, just reread. I think I'd still stay as he'll be out of the way in bathroom. When we had the ensuite ripped out last year that was a week's job and I stayed in as they weren't disturbing me or the kids. My mum was there and I did have OH working some days from home so we weren't totally housebound but weather was awful anyway and it was near Christmas so the cosy days were nice, plus they were at nursery/preschool some mornings :) I didn't leave a key with them. They finished early, anyway! I'd be reluctant to go out most of the day and let anyone lock up unless there really isn't a way out of it.

I hate having work done, so stressful!

We had new Windows fitted during the summer which took a day and a half and I left during the day. The workers were in and out and lots was going on in all parts of the house it would have been to overwhelming and disruptive especially for ds2. The company was very reputable and I didn't leave a key as doors were left open, our front door locks without a key and they were fitting a back door as well so already had a key

I'd stay in, unless it was someone I knew. I'm way too aware of people, I don't trust strangers - working or not, you never know who they really are.

I wouldn't give a key to anyone other than family or close friends. I'd defo stay in for workmen.

I'd stay in. There's no way i'd give someone I didn't know a key.

I'd stay in, if the person's a stranger. I wouldn't be comfortable leaving anyone a key to my home unattended unless I knew them well and trusted them. We had a close family friend paint our home when we built it, and trusted him alone in the home. But. He was a close friend. Not some random person I'd never met before. I think your Dh is right. There's just so many things a stranger could get into while you are out, and you may not notice for quite a while if something went missing.

I usually get my dad to stay, haha. If he isn't available then I would stay myself. DH is usually too busy working. He works in construction and I have a feeling he'd say he doesn't trust half his coworkers so I don't think he'd give them a key.

So I'm in.. But I'm downstairs and they're upstairs, now I'm panicking reading some of your posts that they're upstairs pocketing gos knows what! I guess I just don't see how it'd be any different if I were out.

So I'm in.. But I'm downstairs and they're upstairs, now I'm panicking reading some of your posts that they're upstairs pocketing gos knows what! I guess I just don't see how it'd be any different if I were out.

Just being present in the home is enough to deter most crooks from trying anything, in case they get caught. They're much more likely to try and steal something if they think there's no way they could be caught or have it trace back to them specifically.

I think it's totally different with your presence in the house to be honest, although my main concern wouldn't be stealing it would be them not locking up properly/leaving front door wide open.

Just being present in the home is enough to deter most crooks from trying anything, in case they get caught. They're much more likely to try and steal something if they think there's no way they could be caught or have it trace back to them specifically.

I agree and if an accident happens you will have some idea of what really went on.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->