Do you think chidren get too much homework?

I do think that Primary school age children get too much homework. I don't see the point of a 5 year old having homework. I agree with structured play, learning through play etc but believe the homework is unfair.

i love the idea of homework i'd say rosie doesnt get enough, it prepares them for college and uni, they'll be doing long essays at home then, not ony does homework make sure they are keeping up it teaches them time management and self control, an hour after school is about right, rosie goes to the libary at break time to do hers. primary school she didnt have that much just spellings and timetables really

I do think too much pressure is put on children these days. I dont agree with homework say at the age of 4 or 5 I think leaning through play should be enough at this age. Jack gets a 'splatt pack' every 3 weeks at nursery, we just done his 1st one over the weekend and we had to listen to a nursery rhyme cd, bake some cookies, I had to put a recipe in a book, read 1 book and complete 2 sheets like match the foods, it was quite good & we enjoyed doing it x

My son who is in junior school brings home a lot of homework he is in the lowest groups in school, and really struggles his new teacher this term has been great through and he has been a lot better doing it... for the past 3 week since term began he has had a roman project which is fine exept i didnt go to school (was a rebel from middle school and got ecpelled from high school).... if there is no explanation on how to do it have a look online (i do this often) or ask his teacher what they want you to do OR ask her for ideas, goodluck hun i feel your pain i have been really struggiling with my sons!

From working in a school I know that a lot of the work is stuff the teacher has run out of time to cover in class. I used to work with kids with special needs and they would be given exactly the same stuff to do as all the other kids, which for some was completely stupid as they were not able to do it themselves so would get into trouble when it wasn't done or their parents would do it for them.

I would have a word with the teacher about the level of Maths homework he is getting. Extra work at home does help - especially with Maths as practice and repetition is often required. But it is vital that your child has the basic skills in order to progress to the more advanced maths. I would invest in some software. Look for software that has structured content and is engaging - worksheet simulations will not inspire him. Also make sure it teaches and tests as well as providing in-depth examples and references.

Your child will improve in time, small steps build up Maths skills and remember to stay positive to avoid your child developing negative feelings about learning Maths.

I went to boarding school and the juniors would get structured prep of no more than 45mins per night, 5 nights a week. Seniors got 1hour 15 minutes in lower senior and 1hr 30 for upper, plus an extra 'study session' on a Sunday of up to 2 hours. Personally, if Earl comes home with more than these levels, partcularly in junior school, I'll be having words.

Yes, my daughter who is 8 definately gets too much homework. I feel so sorry for her. She works hard all day and then has to come home and do more work when she is tired and all she wants to do is play and chill out.

She is so hard to motivate to do it as well and half the time I end up almost doing it for her!! It's easier!!

Amy x

Sometimes it feels like they have a lot of homework, but that should not be the norm, because they are supposed to be taught in school with some homework for practice or get up to speed.

I would say check to see the depth of the homework, if it is minor practice on what they learned in school, then that is ok, but if it is extensive work that should be done or covered in school and it is the norm, then you need to speak to the teacher about it and get them to explain to you why the children have to do so much at home after school and if they can share an outline of what they have done in school then you can follow through to understand what has to be done at home.

Hi Claire,

There is a selection of films about homework overload on parentchannel.tv which may help.

Hope they do!

Ruth

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"