Do you think this name is tacky?

Leids

Mommy :)
Reaction score
Hi ladies,

We're currently WTT, but have been discussing names because it took us up until the last minute to decide on a name for our little guy!

I really love the name River, for various reasons. We are big nerds, so River from both Doctor Who and Firefly makes me like it even more. The problem is - our last name is Song. :rofl: I know that it normally wouldn't be a problem, but my DH is apprehensive about naming a little girl River Song because he's afraid she may get teased.

We live in the US, so I really don't think it would be a problem. I don't know very many people that even know what Doctor Who is or if they've heard of the show they've never watched it. There's maybe like 2-3 people I know (in my nerdy friends circle even) that love it and they've been pushing for River since I got pregnant with the first baby!

What do you think, tacky or no? Would it be better as a middle name?

Thanks in advance. :hugs:

I like the name, maybe break it up with a classic middle name like:

River Kate Song
River Anna Song
River Louise Song

or you could use it as a middle name:

Darla River Song
Trudy River Song
Sarah River Song

^ just random example names lol

:shock::shock::shock: not know Doctor Who! You need to educate them and fast I adore Doctor Who not sure where you guys are up to so wont say anything about the plots 'spoilers sweetie' ;)

anyway I would go for it, by the time your daughter is in school and at an age where children tease each other. The episodes will be a few years old and out of most peoples memory. Anyone that is a real geek and remember the name will think its cool. I know I think its cool. If your OH is still worried then maybe you could use it as a middle name and pick another Doctor Who themed first name

Clara
Amy
Martha
Rose
Sarah-Jane
Donna
Melanie
Tegan
Nysaa
Romana
Polly
Victoria
Zoe
Susan

I am sure there are more

I love river song :) you could go for melody ( rivers birth name) or the above are great. My hubby really wants romana. We would have had clara but my next door neighbour has just had a keira and I think they are a bit too similar x

How could have forgot Melody

Melody River Song

Sounds beautiful

River was OH's first choice for a girls name because he's a Firefly fan as well! I love the name but we just found out we're having a boy so now it's back to the drawing board lol

I would say go for it, River Song is a lovely name! Even if kids found it funny they couldn't make anything rude out of it. It sounds very native american and earthy, but not in a tacky way. Plus i agree that most people wont get the tv reference, there are lots of River's who's parents just liked the name.

Kids can be teased for even the most normal of names. We had jokes in school for a kid who's surname was Innocent, it was never rude or detrimental to him.

I love the name melody but melody song is a little too much imho

I agree that Melody Song would be waaay too much...Talk about being teased in school.

But River Song doesn't sound bad at all IMO

I like it! River Isabelle Song was the first thing to pop into my head as a middle name suggestion :)

I like River... but I'm from the us and I've watched dr who. And half of the people on my Facebook do too... people from all walks of life. So it might be more popular than you think

LOVE the name River! It was actually one of our top boy names!
I have a friend that lives in Florida and she has a boy named "Rivers". Everyone thinks he has a pretty awesome name :) Im def a fan! dont think it's tacky in the least.

Thank you ladies. :hugs: Now it's all about convincing DH! :haha: I think he's fine if it's a middle name, but not so much for a first name. I have awhile to convince him though. ;) I love the name River, but he prefers very plain traditional names I suppose.

I love River and Rayne. Both got vetoed by my family :growlmad: lol

Because Im going to be a single mum and I asked them to help me with a name :shrug:

Because Im going to be a single mum and I asked them to help me with a name :shrug:

it can be nice letting people have input, but if you love a names then dont let anyone ruin it for you

good luck :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->