Do you think you are better informed as a parent than your parents?

Discussion in 'Baby Club' started by My_First, Jun 3, 2011.

1. My_First

My_First Well-Known Member

I was listening to the song Ebenezer Goode by the Shamen on the radio this morning and it got me thinking. When I was a young teenager I knew what this song was all about and what its undertones were, however my mother didnt have a clue.

This got me thinking, do you think you are more clued up than your mother was, and do you think your child will be able to 'get things passed you', that I did with my mother.

For example, if my Mum knew that this song was about taking drugs, she would have absolutly flipped at me. Also, I dabbled in drugs (experimental) in my early teens, (bit of a wild child:blush:), and my Mum did not have a clue. Also when it came down to having sex, I am sure she thought I was a virgin until leo was born :haha:.

What do you think? Do you think there will be trends that we wont have a clue about when our babies are older, or do you think you will be wiser, as you knew the stunts you pulled on your parents (assuming fo corse that you did!)

2. bathbabe

bathbabe Mum to 3 boys

I dont like to think about it! :rofl:

My mum doesnt know any of the stuff i did in my teens, drugs, smoking, paraletic on my 15th birthday, she doesnt know the scar on my face from a 3ltr bottle of cider being dropped on my face, underage sex, where i really was if i said i was staying at my best friends etc.

Lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala my son is going to be an angel Lalalalalalalalalalalalalalalalala

:ignore:

3. Mum2b_Claire

Mum2b_Claire Mummy to Ruby & Scarlett!

Ouch! That's got to hurt...

I do think that I will be a bit more 'with it' than my mum was with me, but who knows, when Ruby is like 15 I'll be 42 and there'll be new trends, new words for things by then that will probably mean nothing to me.
    However I do think I have broader range of past mis-behaviours than my mum :blush: so I will be a bit less black and white towards certain things with Ruby than my mum was with me.

4. whoops

whoops Just me and my LO

I like to think I'll be wise to her tricks when she's a teenager but I'll be 13 years older then so I'll probably be out of touch. Not as much as my mum was but I definitely wouldn't know as much as if she was already a teenager.

5. bathbabe

bathbabe Mum to 3 boys

I was drunk, id just fallen down the stairs backwards and my friend came over to see if i was ok and it slipped out from under her arm, it just missed my eye, what a great 15th birthday! :rofl:

6. Nervous_1

Nervous_1 Well-Known Member

God my mum was clueless (still is bless her! :haha: ), I can only hope that my antics as a teen has prepared me for spotting anything my LO might try!!

7. KatelynsMummy

KatelynsMummy Mummy to Katelyn!

My mum is clueless :haha:
    She thought I was still a virgin until I told her I was pregnant :rofl:
    When my LO is 15, i'll be 33... so I hope i'm still "with it" :haha:

8. aliss

aliss Well-Known Member

Nah, my parents were into the whole sex/drugs/rock n roll of the 70's... :sick: I cringe thinking about it.

9. MissCurly

MissCurly Well-Known Member

i think so but only because i think i have more life experience. But on the other hand, i do wonder if parents just turn a blind eye to things that are going on and let us get on with it?