Do your toddlers actually paint?

lau86

Reaction score
I feel like I should let him paint but within about 30 seconds it's dissolved into chaos and paint tasting. The colours are all mixed into one and the paint is soaked through and coming apart. Is this what they all do or am I going wrong somewhere... I should say I'm no artist so I can't exactly lead the way!!

I think it's just par for the course. I had DD finger painting a couple days ago and yes, she tried to eat some, and yes, her pictures were pretty much just blobs of mixed together colors, it's normal. :D I tried to make it educational by pointing out the names of each color she picked up and she did repeat some of the color names so I have hopes that some of it got in. I think kids this age just really enjoy the sensory experience of painting.

Honestly, I find it more trouble than it's worth and don't bother. I feel guilty but I'm sure we do plenty of other stuff without it being an issue that I never get the paints out.

Simple as it sounds, have you tried sitting with LO and doing your "own" painting and encouraging LO to copy you.

we love to paint, although maci usually ends up highlighting her hair blue or something!

I let my dd paint but I control it. I only give her one color at a time, and I sit with her the whole time so if she tries to eat it I say no we don't eat paint and redirect her back to the paper. She enjoys it but only for maybe 5 minutes, so it's not something we can make an afternoon of. Once I can tell she's bored with it or starting to just be crazy, I say "okay, all done" and I take it away. I think right now she's a little young for it. Maybe in another year she'll start to actually paint "things" because right now she just slaps the paint on the paper, or goes in circles, same that she does with crayons.

I also only use the washable, non toxic paint and she does it either on the table with some paper bags taped around so she doesn't get it on the table, or sometimes even outside on the back patio so messed can just be sprayed down with the hose.

Instead of paint, I let him color with crayons. They're easy to take away when he puts them in his mouth.

I haven't been brave enough to try paint yet.

I think at toddler ages, blobs of color all mixed together is pretty much what you are going to get for "art work". We do painting sometimes with finger paints, or washable paints. I buy cheap shower curtains at dollar tree to cover the floor and table with, so its a very easy clean up. If they get paint on them, I just put them in the bath and throw the clothes in the wash. I wouldn't expect much as far as "art" coming out of it, I think at this age its more about the experience, being creative, sensory with finger paints, etc.

Simple as it sounds, have you tried sitting with LO and doing your "own" painting and encouraging LO to copy you.

we love to paint, although maci usually ends up highlighting her hair blue or something!

Ha ha that's why I said about not being an artist, I was sat there with him with my own piece of paper and couldn't think of a thing to paint.... It wouldn't even look like what I was trying to paint anyway.
We'll carry on as we are then as he enjoys it even if it's only ten minutes. We also have crayons but obviously they're not as much fun!!!

Ha ha that's why I said about not being an artist, I was sat there with him with my own piece of paper and couldn't think of a thing to paint.... It wouldn't even look like what I was trying to paint anyway.
We'll carry on as we are then as he enjoys it even if it's only ten minutes. We also have crayons but obviously they're not as much fun!!!

Trees, faces? That's about as creative as I can get. Think Summer's got more artistic flair than me!

Trees, faces? That's about as creative as I can get. Think Summer's got more artistic flair than me!

I do the same with the boys. I think its easier for them to try and copy if you try to do simple things, to show them how to make them. Like trees, stick people, houses, sun, moon, etc.

We don't have paints at home - whenever we are at toddler groups we always paint there - I can't bear the mess at home but like painting with him :) but yes it's just blobs and a huge mess of stuff!!!!

Very little paint makes it to the paper. He'd rather just smear it around the container I put it in, or paint the garbage bag I put down to protect the table... I do let him 'paint' if he asks or I'll suggest it every now and then. He has stopped using crayons/markers to draw too, all he wants to do is line them all up or peel the paper off the crayons.

I usually sit and paint with her. We have been doing a lot of painting lately as it's been so rainy so we've not been out much.
Sometimes I paint letters and ask her to identify which letter it is. She really enjoys doing that :)

We haven't braved paint yet. Just crayons, pens, and pencils.

We love paint in this house- she has never tried to eat it actually haha!

I bought one of those little trays that has different colours of pots in it so I put blue paint in the blue pot etc and then they each have a separate paint brush so she puts the blue paintbrush in the blue pot with the blue paint! Never gets too mixed up :D

DD2 will sit for about 5 mins and paint but then the overwhelming urge to put her hand in the paint takes over and it all gets a bit messy!
DD1 has just turned 3 and for ages now she can sit up to 45 mins and paint beautifully. She's really into her arts and crafts and has a good attention span.

We paint at least once a week on canvas. It gets so messy so I was thinking about having him paint with washable finger paints in the tub or shower in just a diaper then I can let him get really crazy and messy.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->