Doctor estimate weight by feeling bump?

craftymama

Mama of 3!
Reaction score
Just wondering, as I see a lot of people here and around me having late scans to check size and position. My doctor has never really used that method with me, she feels my bump to check baby's position and gives a weight estimate this way. Does anyone else's doctor use this method? She was right for my daughter, with my son she never ended up getting to that point as I had him at 36 weeks. Just wondering how close doctors are with this method most of the time I guess, as she estimates baby at 7 1/2 pounds right now at 38 weeks, jumping from 6 1/2 pounds last week. That's quite the jump..:shrug:

I actually just asked my Dr about this yesterday. He says the scans are more accurate (though they can be off too) and anything he does in a routine office visit is just an estimate. He had a little round chart he used to determine weight based on weeks pregnant and what percentile my previous scan had put the baby in.

I never got a weight guess but when I was measuring 3, 4 then 6 weeks ahead I was never sent for a gtowth scan as they could feel that baby wasn't big, and they were right :)

My kids have been 7lbs 11oz and 7lbs 13oz, so the thought of possibly having a baby near 9 pounds is extremely unsettling for me right now and it's all I can seem to think about lol.

My midwife did this last time at 38 weeks.... She said he felt about 7 and a half pounds and he was 7lb9 at birth (39+4) :)
I'll be asking again!

i asked my midwife the other day how we will know my baby´s weight approximately before labor and she said she could feel my bump during the last weeks of my pregnancy if i wanted and give me an approximate number...she even said feeling the bump was even more accurate that scans...but i am not sure. i dont think i will have a big baby but it would be nice to know what to expect.

My midwife didn't give me a weight estimate but did say 'you have a small baby in there'. Thing is - I don't know what she classes as a small baby! My last was 9lbs 2oz so maybe anything under that hahaha ;)

Last pregnancy, mw estimated by feeling that I'd have a small baby, 6lb odd. He was born 7lb7oz. So quite out really.

Growth scan this time is estimating 7 and a half lb at birth.

We shall see.

My doc felt mine and said she was going to be average, not too big or small. I figure that would be 7-8 pounds or so. Close enough for me!

My midwife thought I was going to have a big baby but a scan last week showed the baby was slightly bigger than average at 7lb at 36 weeks but not as big as she'd predicted. It was excess fluid making her think he'd be even bigger than that.

My doc won't give me a weight estimate or scan as he doesn't think it's 100% accurate (and he doesn't like to tell me anything unless he is completely certain-just one of his quirks!) But he did say based on my fundal height measurements that baby is measuring average, to mayyyybe slightly below average size (so probably 7-7.5 lbs)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->