Doctor said they don't test progesterone levels

lovemybubba

New mummy
Reaction score
I rang my doctor today to ask for a referral for blood tests. I said I wanted my hcg and my progesterone levels checked. He then said he's never heard of progesterone levels being checked for pregnancy. I told him how I know of countless pregnant women being checked for it and that the levels are crucial for a healthy pregnancy, he seemed to disagree with me but nonetheless he said he'd reffer me on my say so and not his. Got a blood test book for 1pm, hopefully all will be well. Don't know if I'll get my results there and then or not.
Why does my doctor not know anything about progesterone levels in pregnancy? I'm confused

In the UK, HCG levels are not checked unless an ectopic pregnancy or other problem is suspected and I don't think progesterone levels are ever checked unless there is a history of recurrent miscarriage. So your doctor was correct that they are not routinely checked. Nice that he referred you anyway though.

To be honest I've only heard I've progesterone testing to confirm ovulation, not after a pregnancy is confirmed

It was nice of him to reffer me, I must just sound like a crazy paranoid pregnant lady. I just don't want anything to go wrong again.

I'm 9 weeks 5 days and not had hcg or progestorone levels checked I'm from UK as well xx

I think USA and UK must be so different as I've only had one midwife appointment and unless there's a worry no scan till 12 weeks. I don't have my booking appointment and get bloods took till 10 weeks xx

I think it's a US thing. We don't get it routinely checked either. Though it can be checked if a woman had recurrent miscarriages and such or after a miscarriage. I was simply put on progesterone tablets after my bleed not knowing my levels :shrug: according to my doctor progesterone can keep a hematoma from bleeding.

Thank you for the information everyone.
I'm just so scared after my last miscarraige. I'd rather know now if I have to prepare myself to miscarry or not. I don't want to get to 12 weeks again to find out.

Its just not really done here but im surprised he referred you. Good doc you have there!

You may want to see if he can refer you for an early scan, or see if you can self refer here https://www.earlypregnancy.org.uk/FindUsMap.asp. My local unit will see someone after a mc dependant on circumstances then

There's a lot of conflicting into on progesterone too. Many doctors think it can help only if started right after ovulation. So testing once you know you are pregnant does no good. Others, like mine, think it can possibly help if you have low progesterone very early on and have had several early miscarriages. So who knows, really. My OB tested me at 4w6d, but he went ahead and prescribed progesterone when I phoned to make that appt bc I had already had 3 miscarriages (low progesterone in all of those). Glad your doctor referred you since that's what you want. Good luck.

Thank you for the information everyone.
I'm just so scared after my last miscarraige. I'd rather know now if I have to prepare myself to miscarry or not. I don't want to get to 12 weeks again to find out.

Well with a history of miscarriage they should check it since you could even prevent a miscarriage if the reason was:
1. Low progesterone due to hormonal imbalances like estrogen dominance (usually something women prone to pms and irregular cycles could experience)
2. Miscarriage due to a hematoma. Progesterone can supress bleeding, inhibit the growth and shrink the hematoma.

- According to my doctor. She put me on progesterone for those reasons and I can tell it went up because I went from chronic pregnancy diarrhea to constipation, which "can" be a sign of low progesterone, especially if the diarrhea stops after progesterone supplementation.

Progesterone is available for free in the pharmacy here if you are pregnant because of "mother's protection law".

I don't know why I miscarried, no tests were done and they put it down to "one of those things"
I miscarried before my son too, early on though.
But because I had a healthy pregnancy in between the two miscarriages, they said I'm not qualified for any testing. Which is probably right but doesn't stop me from worrying.
I'm glad I've had the test done now, just need to wait for the results.
I obviously don't know much about it at all and am just picking at straws. I'm just terrified and would prefer to know now rather than later.
A big part of my worry is not having many symptoms of pregnancy. I had loads of morning sickness with my son, and terrible constipation.
I haven't had any of that yet. Only really sore boobs.
I'm also getting pain in the lower right side of my stomach during sex, which scares me off having sex.
My mind is just picking at every tiny little, I just can't stop.

My Dr doesn't check progesterone levels unless there were fertility issues or recurrent mc. It's not common practice to do so otherwise. I only ever did betas. Serial betas galore but no progesterone.

Betas check for hcg level right? I'm new to all this paranoia about pregnancy. I asked for them to be checked too. I never knew I could be this on edge

I asked at the early pregnancy clinic as we were having some sides and they still don't unless they really cnt figure what's going on. In the uk we have the NHS that only pay for what is really needed, it's all about money as in America they pay for there own healthcare we don't (well our taxes do)

Ahhh I must have a really nice doctor then, he didn't sound too pleased with me though 🙈

I got my results back, doctor said they're normal. Hcg 17462 and progesterone 85.9
At 5 weeks 6 days

Ur numbers do look great :) I am in Canada, and requested my progesterone too, it was 72 and my obgyn put me on progesterone just as a support because I have previous mcs, but it wasn't required. I'm also taking baby aspirin. Congrats on the great numbers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->