Does anybody use the listmus test strips ?

LoveMy2Boys2

Reaction score
I have the strips they use in the hospital to test if waters broke, I felt a small gush of something while driving , when I got home i tested the strip on my pantiliner where it was wet..... It turned dark blue which is positive.... Wondering if anything else could turn the strip positive? I'm only 34.6 wks and my husband is away for the weekend! I really really hope it's not my waters breaking. Praying it's possible p or something else! Anyone know about this stuff? As of now.... In waiting to see if it happens again!

I had a look online.

The litmus test strips test the PH levels, normal vag PH levels are like 4.5- 5.5 or something and amniotic fluid is 6.5-7.5 so it's obviously higher. So if the strip reads a high amount of PH it'll change colour. However there are a few things that can change the PH and give you a false positive, if your urine is particularly alkaline, vaginal infections, blood or semen.

I don't think you're suppose to test the wet spot in your underwear because of that was a spot of strong wee then it'll show a positive. The study i read said the doctor uses a speculum to take a sample from inside your vag (untainted by urine). I know with my daughter i stuck a long cotton swab up there and they tested off that.

However, regardless of the fact that false positives do exist it would probably be a bit irresponsible to not call your doctor or the labour ward and get checked out.

If you want to test if it happens again. Lay down for a n hour or so and then stand up, amniotic fluid usually pools and then comes out when you stand up. A lot of women said if they flexed the muscles they could usually squish a bit more out, I've peed myseld when I've sneezed or vomitted and it usually can't be replicated with anything but another sneeze.

Thanks so much! I did some googling too... That's a good idea about the qtip! I tested again around 3 am and it was speckled dark blue (positive) where as the first time it was saturated dark blue.... Haven't tested again yet.... Don't feel any contractions really.... Last night I had 2 random ones, today baby is very active but don't think contractions going on..... I'll have to see what the cotton swab says.... I feel extra down there all night and day though , but then again that could really be anything at this stage right .....

Please get checked if you have any doubt over your waters looking. If left too long there is a risk of infection which can be dangerous for baby. Contractions etc don't always automatically follow waters breaking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->